This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6679 / 51°40'4"N
Longitude: 0.3807 / 0°22'50"E
OS Eastings: 564734
OS Northings: 199254
OS Grid: TQ647992
Mapcode National: GBR NJW.738
Mapcode Global: VHJKD.KB4Q
Entry Name: Ginge Petre Almshouses
Listing Date: 20 February 1976
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373697
Location: Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Ingatestone and Fryerning
Built-Up Area: Ingatestone
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ingatestone St Edmund and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING
TQ6499 ROMAN ROAD, Ingatestone
723-1/14/412 (South East side)
20/02/76 Nos.9-12 (consec) Ginge Petre
(Formerly Listed as:
ROMAN ROAD, Ingatestone
Ginge Petre Almshouses)
Terrace of almshouses. 1840. Renovated in 1978 by Trehearne and Norman Preston. Red brick, with black headers in diaper patterns, and dressings of gault brick, roofed with fishscale slates. One terrace of 4 almshouses facing NE, forming
one side of a quadrangle, with other terraces to NE and E. Tudor Revival style.
Single storey. Each house has 2 original cast-iron segmental arches of gault brick, and a central boarded door with vertical moulded fillets, and chamfered jambs and 4-centred arch of gault brick. Dogtooth eaves course. The black
headers are glazed. Diagonal chimney shafts of red and black bricks in 2-2-1 arrangement. Ridge tiles of red clay. The right gable (to Roman Road) has
moulded copings and kneelers of limestone, one similar casement window, a limestone tablet with reversed curves at the corners inscribed 'Rebuilt by the Right HonourableWi.1liam Lord Petre A.D. 1840', the letters J. C. inscribed in
a gault brick corbel below the shaft, and 2 red brick buttresses covering the diaper pattern. The left gable end has copings and kneelers of gault brick, and
a lean-to boiler house of red brick with slate roof built in 1978. The daiaper pattern of black headers continues on the gable ends and rear elevation. The
rear windows are C20 casements.
Listing NGR: TQ6473499253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings