History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Covers Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon Hatch, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6567 / 51°39'24"N

Longitude: 0.2829 / 0°16'58"E

OS Eastings: 558010

OS Northings: 197796

OS Grid: TQ580977

Mapcode National: GBR WR.B09

Mapcode Global: VHHMW.VMF9

Entry Name: Covers Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 February 1976

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197321

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373729

Location: Kelvedon Hatch, Brentwood, Essex, CM15

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Kelvedon Hatch

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon Hatch St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Brentwood

Listing Text


KELVEDON HATCH

TQ59NE WARREN LANE
723-1/5/449 (North side)
20/02/76 Covers Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
BRENTWOOD
WARREN LANE, Doddinghurst
Covers)

II

House. Early C17, C20. Timber-framed and rendered, hipped
peg-tiled roofs. 2 storeys. Plan: C17 3-celled block, E cell
once a cross-wing. C17 stair tower between central hall and
cross-wing at high end (E). C17 principal stack in lateral
position on rear wall of hall. 2 minor stacks, C18/C19 in red
brick, stretcher bond, on E and W ends of house. C20 jettied
projection at rear of hall area and C20 continuous rear
outshut linking to C20 rear cross-wing extension at E end.
Also C20 rebuilding of W end of original house. All windows of
the house except one in the stair tower are C20, wooden
casements with glazing bars. Front S elevation - 3 window
range - ground floor all 3 lights and first floor two 2-light
windows with a central one of 3 lights. Rear - irregular
windows fitted to very irregular elevations, French window on
W face of cross-wing. C20 boarded door used as a front door to
W end of main range. The old window on N wall of stair tower
C18/late C19 casement.
INTERIOR: heavily rebuilt but original window site on ground
floor at front of hall. Lateral fireplace with timber lintel.
Cross-wing bridging joist in elm. Probably cross-wing built or
rebuilt later in C17. Evidence of mullioned windows on E side
of stair tower. Morant, 1768 mentions 'Convers'.
(Morant P: The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex:
1768-: 192).


Listing NGR: TQ5801097796

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.