This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6587 / 51°39'31"N
Longitude: 0.3867 / 0°23'12"E
OS Eastings: 565180
OS Northings: 198243
OS Grid: TQ651982
Mapcode National: GBR NJW.W11
Mapcode Global: VHJKD.NK8S
Entry Name: Tilehurst
Listing Date: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197324
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373737
Location: Mountnessing, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Mountnessing
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Mountnessing St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ69NE HALL LANE
723-1/7/458 (East side)
House. 1884. By George Sherrin. For Sir Sebastian Petre. Minor
alterations in 1906. Red brick in English bond with limestone
dressings, some exposed false framing, and some tile-hanging,
roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. Complex plan facing
approximately W, with 2 internal and 3 external stacks.
2 storeys with attics and cellars. All windows are casements,
many with rectangular leading; all on the ground floor, and
some on the first floor, have chamfered stone surrounds and
moulded stone mullions, some also with moulded transoms. 3
first-floor windows are oriels supported on profiled brackets
with exposed false framing in the gables; 2 of them have brick
nogging below the windows in oblique square pattern. 2 gabled
dormers with exposed false framing. This framing is in various
regional styles - close studding, square panels and decorative
patterns. Double half-glazed doors in moulded stone surround.
Near the S end is a square tower with a belvedere in the
second storey, false framing below the windows on 3 sides, an
ogival cupola and weathervane. The left return has a 2-storey
splayed bay and a moulded stone parapet gable. The E (garden)
elevation has a similar 2-storey bay but with a close-studded
gable, 2 stone mullioned and transomed windows on each floor,
and a close-studded gable dormer. Near the S end is a timber
gallery on the first floor, and twin gables with exposed false
framing in decorative style. INTERIOR: original main stair and
doors on the ground floor, upper floors altered. The house was
originally named Tylhus.
(Essex Countryside: Langford K: A Neglected Essex Architect:
Listing NGR: TQ6518098243
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings