History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bibury

A Grade II Listed Building in Mountnessing, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.652 / 51°39'7"N

Longitude: 0.3748 / 0°22'29"E

OS Eastings: 564384

OS Northings: 197468

OS Grid: TQ643974

Mapcode National: GBR NK1.CLL

Mapcode Global: VHJKD.GQ0Z

Entry Name: Bibury

Listing Date: 20 February 1976

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197326

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373743

Location: Mountnessing, Brentwood, Essex, CM13

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Mountnessing

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Mountnessing St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Mountnessing

Listing Text


MOUNTNESSING

TQ69NW PADHAMS GREEN
723-1/6/465 Bibury
20/02/76
(Formerly Listed as:
BRENTWOOD
PADHAMS GREEN, Mountnessing
Eardisland)

GV II

House. Mainly mid-C16, part possibly of earlier origin,
extended in C19 and C20. Timber-framed, clad with roughcast
render, plaster, weatherboarding and red brick, roofed with
handmade and machine-made red clay tiles. 2-bay main range
facing W, the left bay forming an entrance-passage, and 2-bay
cross-wing to right, extending forwards. C18 internal stack at
the junction. C19 single-storey wing to rear centre with axial
stack, and lean-to extensions to each side, the left forming a
catslide with the roof of the main range. C20 conservatory to
right of cross-wing. All windows are C20 casements. Plain
boarded door in wide gabled porch. The cross-wing is jettied
to the front, with 2 brackets roughcast rendered; the roof has
a gablet hip to the rear.
INTERIOR: the main range has a floor of c1600 comprising a
chamfered axial beam and chamfered joists of vertical section
with lamb's tongue stops, and a clasped purlin roof of similar
date incorporating some smoke-blackened rafters from a
medieval open hall. It is not clear whether this survives from
a medieval house, or was re-built in the C16. Walls of
ground-floor room matchboarded c1900. Hearths re-pointed with
lime mortar. The cross-wing has heavy close studding with
`Suffolk' braces, and jowled posts. Chamfered binding beam
with step stops, and plain joists of horizontal section
jointed to it with soffit tenons with diminished haunches,
indicating a date of construction between 1510 and 1565,
probably nearer the later date. In the right girt are 3
diamond mortices of a former unglazed window, and a groove for
a sliding shutter, and above it is a similar window retaining
shortened diamond mullions. Similar window at the rear on the
first floor, blocked. The rear left corner post is rebated for
an original door opening into the cross-wing, indicating that
this was originally the parlour/solar wing of a medieval
house; a broken pintle hinge is still visible in the rebate.
Crownpost roof complete; chamfered collar-purlin with step
stops, and 3 axial braces. Smoke-blackened rafters from the
roof of a medieval open hall reused in the hip.


Listing NGR: TQ6438497468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.