History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milepost 17 Metres South of Number 306

A Grade II Listed Building in Mountnessing, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6525 / 51°39'9"N

Longitude: 0.3512 / 0°21'4"E

OS Eastings: 562747

OS Northings: 197476

OS Grid: TQ627974

Mapcode National: GBR NK0.CLD

Mapcode Global: VHJKD.1QJK

Entry Name: Milepost 17 Metres South of Number 306

Listing Date: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197328

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373752

Location: Mountnessing, Brentwood, Essex, CM15

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Mountnessing

Built-Up Area: Ingatestone

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Mountnessing St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Mountnessing

Listing Text


MOUNTNESSING

TQ69NW ROMAN ROAD
723-1/6/472 (North West side)
Milepost 17 metres south of No.306

II

Milepost. C18 and early C19. Limestone with cast-iron cover
plate. Triangular in plan, one vertical surface facing S
embossed `Chelmsford 8', one vertical surface facing E
embossed `Brentwood 3'. Chamfered back to a sloping surface
above facing SE, embossed `To London 21 Mount-neysing'.
Cracked from side to side, repaired with 2 plates at the back
and 4 bolts near each edge.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the road from Shenfield to Ingatestone was
one of the first turnpike roads in Essex, adopted by the Essex
Trust in 1695. The erection of milestones was obligatory from
the 1760s. This design of cover plate was initiated by James
McAdam, and adopted by the Essex Trust in 1819 at the
instigation of Lewis Majendie of Hedingham Castle to reduce
the frequent cost of re-cutting the inscriptions in the
stones, and for greater clarity (Booker, 1974). Shown in
Chapman and Andre's map of 1777, and in Cary 1790. This
milepost is illustrated in Edwards, 1978 with the cover plate
separating from the stone behind, but already cracked and
repaired. The stone is of the same shape and bears the
inscription `London XXI' in the upper surface, other
inscriptions concealed. Booker states that mileages expressed
in Roman numerals indicate that a milestone is C18.
(Booker J: Essex and the Industrial Revolution: 1974-:
101-116; Cary J: Survey of the High Roads from London: 1790-:
47; Edwards AC: A History of Essex: 1978-: 86).


Listing NGR: TQ6274797476

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.