History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends Meeting House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridgwater, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.127 / 51°7'37"N

Longitude: -3.0036 / 3°0'12"W

OS Eastings: 329866

OS Northings: 136886

OS Grid: ST298368

Mapcode National: GBR M5.98VT

Mapcode Global: VH7DH.WXHY

Entry Name: Friends Meeting House

Listing Date: 16 December 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197386

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373905

Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Bridgwater

Built-Up Area: Bridgwater

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bridgwater

Listing Text


BRIDGWATER

ST2936NE FRIARN STREET
736-1/11/90 (North side)
16/12/74 Friends Meeting House

GV II

Friends Meeting House. 1722, much altered 1801 and extended
c1971-2. Limestone rubble plinth, Flemish-bond brick with
pantile roof and brick stack to left gable end. L-shaped plan.
2 storeys; 3-window range. The first floor has a 6/6-pane sash
at eaves level to left and two 8/8-pane sashes to right; The
ground floor has gauged brick segmental arches to two 6/6-pane
sashes to left, 2 blind windows to right and to the
left-of-centre double doors which have 2 panels with beaded
edges, 3 steps and a late C19 boot scraper set into plinth.
The rear wall of the main block is limestone rubble, windows
to the rear wing have timber lintels. INTERIOR: The entrance
hall is stone flagged with a barrel-vaulted ceiling and
6-panel doors to the sides. That to right leads to the former
meeting room which has steps to a platform along the front
wall. The present long meeting room behind the former,
probably of 1801, is divided by a wooden screen of vertical
sliding sashes with a 6-panel door to left. The whole room is
panelled to lower part with horizontal tongued-and-grooved
planks; large windows of 4 rows of 6 panes to left wall and 2
octagonal stone columns to front (south) end.
(Stell C: Non-conformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in SW
England: London: 1991-: 169).


Listing NGR: ST2986336900

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.