This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1279 / 51°7'40"N
Longitude: -3.0015 / 3°0'5"W
OS Eastings: 330016
OS Northings: 136986
OS Grid: ST300369
Mapcode National: GBR M5.99D7
Mapcode Global: VH7DH.XXM8
Entry Name: Wesleyan Chapel
Listing Date: 16 December 1974
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373944
Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: Bridgwater
Built-Up Area: Bridgwater
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST3036 KING STREET
736-1/9/128 (West side)
16/12/74 Wesleyan Chapel
(Formerly Listed as:
Wesleyan Chapel, now furniture store. 1816 date on upper
platband; a large tablet below pediment inscribed "RAISED AND
ENLARGED 1860" refers to building of front narthex,
heightening of side walls and ceiling and refitting of
interior. Flemish-bond brick with stone coping, platband,
cornice, arcade, rusticated pilasters and plinth; double-Roman
tile roof. Rectangular plan. Classical style.
2 storeys. 5-bay front with pedimented central 3 bays brought
forward, with parapet swept down either side. Gothick-style
windows with intersecting glazing bars, some with hinged top
opening casements: one breaks cornice of parapet above 3
rectangular recesses including date panel, and others to first
floor are set in semicircular arched recesses; all set in
gauged semicircular arched surrounds.
Flat-roofed narthex or porch, curved at corner into Dampiet
Street on left, has rusticated pilasters flanking 3
semicircular arched doorways with moulded archivolts and
keystones supported on each side by small Ionic columns with
moulded cornices, paired to the centre, and resting on the
plinth; the early C19 interior wall has similar gauged brick
arches over 2 tall windows flanking wide double doors of 2
panels with large overlights. 6-window left return and partly
obscured right return has similar Gothick-style fenestration.
Rear and lower 2-storey block of 1860 has 6/6-pane sashes to
2-window front to Dampiet Street.
INTERIOR: the south west end has a pointed-arched hoodmould
over 3 Gothic recesses, that to centre is stilted. Cast-iron
columns support a trellised horseshoe-shaped cast-iron balcony
to the other three sides and some stepped platforms to former
seating remain. To back of balcony is an elaborate c1860
cornice and frieze.
(Stell C: Non-conformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in SW
England: London: 1991-: 169; Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 96).
Listing NGR: ST3001636986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings