This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1324 / 51°7'56"N
Longitude: -3.0052 / 3°0'18"W
OS Eastings: 329761
OS Northings: 137496
OS Grid: ST297374
Mapcode National: GBR M5.8VX0
Mapcode Global: VH7DH.VSMR
Entry Name: Wares Warehouse (Bridgwater Dock)
Listing Date: 6 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373958
Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: Bridgwater
Built-Up Area: Bridgwater
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
736-1/5/144 (West side)
06/06/73 Wares Warehouse (Bridgwater Dock)
Warehouse, converted for residential and commercial use in
1980s. 1840-1850. Possibly by Thomas Maddicks, engineer of the
docks. Flemish-bond brick, limestone coping to the parapet,
cornice band, quoins, cills to loading bays and rusticated
plinth. Double-pitched hipped slate roof articulated by
parapets of 4 fire-walls. Rectangular plan. 4 storeys;
15-window range to the north-east facade facing the dock. 5
similar bays each have a recess to centre with full-width
cambered arches and stone cill bands to former loading bays on
each floor, these now have C20 French windows with railings.
To each side are slit windows. On the cornice band, above each
recess are hoods on brackets. The left return has C20
two-light casement windows. The south-east facade has 4 bays,
similar in most ways to front except that the French windows
below the hoods on brackets are not in recesses and are
flanked by C20 flat concrete arches to 2-light casement
windows. INTERIOR: ground floor is occupied by a restaurant,
gymnasium and offices, upper floors are apartments. History:
Built in 1841 when the dock was finished, the warehouse had
only 3 bays, 2 were added later. It is possible that the
bricks were made of clay from the dock basin and fired in a
brickworks set up by the Canal Company to use the spoil from
(Murless B J: Bridgwater Docks and the River Parrett:
Bridgwater: 1983-: 15).
Listing NGR: ST2976137496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings