History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Albert Street Cutting, Bridgwater and Taunton Canal

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridgwater, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1257 / 51°7'32"N

Longitude: -3.011 / 3°0'39"W

OS Eastings: 329344

OS Northings: 136754

OS Grid: ST293367

Mapcode National: GBR M5.970Y

Mapcode Global: VH7DH.RYKX

Entry Name: Albert Street Cutting, Bridgwater and Taunton Canal

Listing Date: 16 November 1989

Last Amended: 31 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374026

Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Bridgwater

Built-Up Area: Bridgwater

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bridgwater

Listing Text


BRIDGWATER

ST2836 WEST STREET
736-1/8/218 Albert Street Cutting, Bridgwater
16/11/89 and Taunton Canal
(Formerly Listed as:
BRIDGWATER AND TAUNTON CANAL
Albert Street Cutting, 15m SE of
Albert St Bridge to 50m NW of West
St Bridge)

II

Canal cutting. 1839-1841. Engineered by Thomas Maddicks. 2
sandstone rubble walls approx 1210m long and approx 4.5m high,
running along the towpath and the offside of the canal from
c15m south-east of Albert Street Bridge to approx 50m
north-west of West Street Bridge. The walls have plain
pilasters at regular intervals, and plain stone bands above. A
short section of the offside wall south-east of West Street
Bridge has been rebuilt in concrete block. Rubblestone towpath
retaining wall with squared flagstone edging.
The Bridgwater and Taunton Canal was constructed between
1824-1827 with James Hollinsworth as engineer. In 1839-1841 it
was extended into Bridgwater by Thomas Maddicks.


Listing NGR: ST2934436754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.