History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crimchard House and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Chard Town, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8787 / 50°52'43"N

Longitude: -2.9709 / 2°58'15"W

OS Eastings: 331789

OS Northings: 109247

OS Grid: ST317092

Mapcode National: GBR M6.SZ10

Mapcode Global: FRA 46NS.BD7

Entry Name: Crimchard House and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 29 July 1976

Last Amended: 13 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197444

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374073

Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Chard Town

Built-Up Area: Chard

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Chard

Listing Text


CHARD

ST3109 CRIMCHARD
756-1/2/46 (East side)
29/07/76 Crimchard House and attached
railings
(Formerly Listed as:
CRIMCHARD
(East side)
Crimchard House)

GV II

House. Late C17, remodelled c1820 and c1860. Squared flint and
limestone with limestone dressings and quoins; crested slate
roof with brick stacks to gable ends and right-of-centre.
Double-depth plan: c1700 three-room wide front range with
cross passage to right of centre; integral rear right, c1700,
service wing.
2 storeys, 4-window range. All front windows are c1860 painted
stone mullioned casements with labelled hoodmoulds. Those to
the left and right on both floors have 5 lights and above
porch 3 lights. Projecting square porch with simple
entablature and square columns to left-of-centre;
right-of-centre is 2-storey, 3-light canted bay. Rear wing has
late C17 hollow-moulded stone mullioned window.
INTERIOR: 1860 polychromatic tiled hall with c1820 elliptical
arch to open-well stair at rear with c1860 cast-iron balusters
and wreathed mahogany rail. Left and centre front rooms have
1860 cornices with vine leaves to left and roses to centre
room. Far right to the old scullery with flagstone floor.
Cornice on 1st floor landing and passage is c1820.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURE: attached cast-iron forecourt railings of
c1860 Gothic design on stone plinth.


Listing NGR: ST3178909247

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.