This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8725 / 50°52'21"N
Longitude: -2.9646 / 2°57'52"W
OS Eastings: 332223
OS Northings: 108558
OS Grid: ST322085
Mapcode National: GBR M7.T6RW
Mapcode Global: FRA 46PS.LW1
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374108
Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chard Town
Built-Up Area: Chard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3308 FORE STREET
756-1/4/80 (South side)
24/03/50 The Guildhall
Former Corn Exchange and Guildhall, now Town Hall. 1834. Ham
Hill stone ashlar; slate roof. T-shape plan. Classical style.
2 storeys, symmetrical 5-window range: central 3 set forward
under 2-storey hexastyle Doric portico with continuous plinth
forming low wall to loggia; columns to far left and right are
closer and this articulation is reflected below and on the
facade of the 1st floor, where Doric pilasters separate the
windows. The ground floor has a double row of Tuscan columns
and entablature, with a C20 facade to entrance. To the far
left and right, double doors are set in semi-circular arches
with banded rustication to surrounds. All windows have moulded
architraves with cornices and consoles. Surmounting the
dentilled pediment is a substantial domed cupola with clocks
to 3 sides below.
INTERIOR: remodelled c1970, except for the council chamber and
mayor`s parlour on the first floor. The parlour is the rear
arm of the T-plan; it has a high panelled plaster ceiling,
chamfered, similar to coved; a glazed ceramic fireplace,
dado-rail and high skirting boards; 5-panel doors with a
horizontal panel to the centre and a tripartite sash with
margin-panes to the rear. The council chamber, to the centre
front, is articulated by pilasters with recessed panels; it
has high skirting boards and deep segmental-arched recesses to
each end, that to the rear with a dais and original mahogany
bench, now painted; heavy plaster cornice; tall 6-panel doors
with applied mouldings, have moulded architraves with
The Corporation Minute book has entries dated 1833 resolving
that the early C16 Guildhall be taken down and erected in a
more convenient place.
(Collinson J: History of Somerset: London: 1791-: P.461).
Listing NGR: ST3222308558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings