This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8786 / 50°52'42"N
Longitude: -2.9544 / 2°57'15"W
OS Eastings: 332950
OS Northings: 109220
OS Grid: ST329092
Mapcode National: GBR M7.SWX5
Mapcode Global: FRA 46PS.BTG
Entry Name: Former Joint Railway Station
Listing Date: 29 July 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374112
Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chard Town
Built-Up Area: Chard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard the Good Shepherd Furnham
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST30NW GREAT WESTERN ROAD
756-1/1/84 (South side)
29/07/76 Former Joint Railway Station
Station building. 1866, for Bristol & Exeter and London &
South Western Railways. Flemish bond brick with Bath stone
dressings; hipped slate roof, brick ridge stacks.
Single storey; 5 bays. Central one, under a pediment with
circular ornament, is stepped forward to eaves and is flanked
by deeply-recessed bays, each with a door and a window.
Outside bays are half-stepped forward with one window between
quoins and a door to far left and right. All doors and windows
are set in round arches with platband at impost level; windows
have bracketed sills and C20 six-pane fixed lights; doors have
4 panels. Shallow-pitched roof with gable to pediment has wide
tongued-and-grooved eaves on 3 sides supported by cast-iron
brackets resting on keystones of openings in recessed bays.
Overhang forms canopy or shelter. INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: the station was built to serve the Chard and Taunton
Line which was taken over by the Great Western Railway in
1891, a year before the broad gauge track was converted. The
station was unique in combining one of Brunel's extended
hipped-roofed Italianate brick buildings with one of his
wooden overall roofs to the shed (demolished).
Listing NGR: ST3295009220
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings