History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Factory Building, Formerly of Gifford Fox and Company Limited

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chard, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8716 / 50°52'17"N

Longitude: -2.9644 / 2°57'51"W

OS Eastings: 332238

OS Northings: 108450

OS Grid: ST322084

Mapcode National: GBR M7.TDS6

Mapcode Global: FRA 46PS.T3X

Entry Name: Factory Building, Formerly of Gifford Fox and Company Limited

Listing Date: 29 July 1976

Last Amended: 13 December 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197481

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374178

Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Chard Town

Built-Up Area: Chard

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Chard

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/04/2015

756-1/4/160

CHARD
HOLYROOD STREET (East side)
Factory Building, formerly of Gifford Fox and Company Limited

(Formerly listed as: HOLYROOD STREET, CHARD OLD FACTORY BUILDING OF GIFFORD FOX AND COMPANY LIMITED)

29-JUL-76

GV
II*
Lace factory, now industrial units. c1820-30. Built of red brick with ball finials surmounting stepped copings of gabled slate roof. Rectangular plan. 5 storeys; 10-window range. Flat gauged brick arches over C20 windows. Large brick external stack with moulded cornicing to east elevation. Entry in mid C20 block to south. INTERIOR: fireproof construction with cast-iron columns to vaulted brick ceilings and arched iron roof trusses with circular compression members. The lace or plain net trade became established after 1820 by manufacturers who fled from the Luddite resistance they had faced in the Midlands.
NOTE: A number of sources have identified that in 1848, on the 4th floor of the mill, John Stringfellow [1799-1883] achieved the first sustained powered flight with a 10-foot wingspan model aeroplane powered by a light-weight steam engine. However, there has been some suggestion that, due to the dimensions of the building, the test flight may have taken place at another site. The flight was repeated in a marquee in Cremorna Gardens, London, later in 1848. The model aeroplane and the steam engine were designed and built by Stringfellow, probably in his workshops behind his house, No.121 High Street, listed grade II. Stringfellow was a bobbin and carriage maker from Nottingham.
SOURCES: [1]Buchanan CA: Industrial Archaeology of Central Southern England: London: 1980-: P.123. [2] Penrose, H., An Ancient Air, Airlife Publishing Ltd. 1988.

Listing NGR: ST3223808450

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.