This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.876 / 50°52'33"N
Longitude: -2.968 / 2°58'4"W
OS Eastings: 331986
OS Northings: 108942
OS Grid: ST319089
Mapcode National: GBR M6.T5W1
Mapcode Global: FRA 46NS.KHN
Entry Name: Cemetery Mortuary Chapels
Listing Date: 24 July 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374188
Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chard Town
Built-Up Area: Chard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3108 ZEMBARD LANE
756-1/3/157 (North side)
24/07/90 Cemetery Mortuary Chapels
Cemetery mortuary chapels. 1858, for Thomas Brown to the
designs of James Mountford Allen. Ham Hill stone ashlar. Welsh
slate roofs with moulded coping and finials to gable ends.
Pair of mortuary chapels, connected by integral carriageway
and porches. Church of England chapel to north and
Non-conformist chapel on south, the latter now used as
gardener's store. Decorated style.
The west front: chapel gable ends flanking left and right with
large 3-light geometric traceried windows, central moulded
2-centred arch carriageway, to right and left of which are two
2-light depressed 2-centred arch traceried windows to the
porches; parapet above raised over carriageway arch with
wrought-iron finial. Similar 3-light east windows to chapels
with geometric tracery.
3-bay north and south sides with smaller 2-light geometric
tracery windows with buttresses between and angle buttresses
on corners with weathered set-offs and gabled. The windows
have hoodmoulds with headstops and the west windows have
nook-shafts. Moulded plinth and string. the third bay of the
inner sides of the chapels is occupied by the porches entered
from the carriageway.
INTERIOR: both chapels have plastered walls and good 3-bay
hammerbeam roofs with moulded arched braces and carved stone
angel corbels. Benches with traceried fronts and poppyhead
ends to reading desks. Diamond-leaded pane windows with clear
glass and stanchion bars.
HISTORY: The 4-acre cemetery was formed in 1857 at a cost of
»3000; it contains monuments to James Gillingham, inventor of
artificial limbs, died 1924, and John Stringfellow, inventor
of the first engine-driven aeroplane.
(Kelly's Directory, Somersetshire: 1894-; Brooks C: Mortal
Remains: Exeter: 1989-: P.129-30).
Listing NGR: ST3198608942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings