History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

60-66, Denton Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Newhaven, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8038 / 50°48'13"N

Longitude: 0.064 / 0°3'50"E

OS Eastings: 545533

OS Northings: 102496

OS Grid: TQ455024

Mapcode National: GBR LS7.JZD

Mapcode Global: FRA C60Z.4RM

Entry Name: 60-66, Denton Road

Listing Date: 10 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374201

Location: Newhaven, Lewes, East Sussex, BN9

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Newhaven

Built-Up Area: Newhaven

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Denton with South Heighton and Tarring Neville

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Newhaven

Listing Text


NEWHAVEN

TQ4502 DENTON ROAD, Denton
769-1/5/17 (South side)
Nos.60-66 (Even)

II

Farmhouse, subsequently subdidvided into terrace of 4
dwellings. Possibly C17, altered late C19, extended at rear
mid-late C20. Rough castover flint rubble, cement quoins and
stepped quoins to window surrounds, pebbledash returns, tiled
roof with overhanging eaves, rendered stacks right gable end
(No 60), between second and third bays right (No 62), and
rising from halfway down rear roof elevation to No 64. Plan:
terrace of four cottages, cellar under no 66. Two storeys plus
attic, 5 bays; 4 gabled dormers with bargeboards and scalloped
tiles in gable ends, all 2-light centrally pivoted windows
unless otherwise stated, first floor 5 windows, second bay
right with late C20 casement (No 62) and on ground floor,
entrances plank doors with 2 small lights under tiled sloping
porch-hoods carried on shaped brackets, the entrances to Nos
60 & 62 are side by side; cellar window to No 66. Catslide
roof at rear with various dormer additions and extensions.
Interior: only No 64 seen, where there is a sawn-off
arch-braced collar truss rising from front wall.
Shown on 1872 edition of OS as one dwelling, but on edition of
1899 as four.


Listing NGR: TQ4553302496

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.