This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3503 / 50°21'0"N
Longitude: -3.5781 / 3°34'41"W
OS Eastings: 287823
OS Northings: 51228
OS Grid: SX878512
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RJC4
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.MVX
Entry Name: The Mansion House
Listing Date: 14 September 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387286
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 MANSION HOUSE STREET
673-1/8/164 (North side)
The Mansion House
House, now restaurant and offices with accommodation above.
Built in 1736 for Captain Edward Ashe, renovated in 1979.
Stone rubble, plastered on the front which may be brick or
have brick dressings; end and rear stacks with C19 brick
chimneyshafts; slate roof.
PLAN: Double-depth, 2 rooms wide with central entrance hall
and rear stairhall.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; symmetrical 5-window front. Plastered
front is lightly blocked out as ashlar. Central doorway and
ground-floor windows are all round-headed with moulded stucco
architraves with triple keystones. Doorway emphasised by side
lights (8-pane sashes) with channelled rustication below and
moulded cornices above; it contains a fielded 10-panel door
and fanlight with radial pattern of glazing bars. Ground-floor
windows have round-headed 18-pane sashes with top radial
glazing bars. Plat band at first-floor level. First floor with
C19 horned 8-pane sashes with unusual horizontal panes (left 2
are blind), and second floor has C19 horned 4-pane sashes.
Plain eaves to parallel roof hipped both ends.
INTERIOR: One of the best C18 interiors of any Devon town
house. Principal rooms with excellent moulded plasterwork.
Entrance hall with ornamental ceiling and modillion cornice.
Round-headed arch to the stairhall flanked by large Corinthian
pilasters. Large top-lit open-well stair; open string with
carved stair brackets, turned newel posts and 3 turned
balusters with blocks to each tread, moulded flat handrail and
curtail step. First-floor level richly embellished with
plasterwork featuring an arcade containing panels representing
the 12 labours of Hercules, and roundels over the doorways
containing male and female busts; Vitruvian frieze at
second-floor level with linked roundels above containing the
signs of the zodiac, vaulted ceiling to the skylight with
pointed-arch panels springing from corbels fashioned as heads.
Stair rises from first to second floor alongside, and to left
of, the grand stairhall with a less-elaborate balustrade, but
a second-floor gallery in the same style as the lower stair
connects across the front of the stairhall.
Principal room first-floor right is particularly fine and
completely original except for the C19 marble chimneypiece.
Fireplace flanked by shell-headed alcoves above moulded dado,
panelled pilasters and moulded architrave with heads on the
keystones and swags; 2 more at the opposite end flanking wide
doorway through to the smaller end room, soffit of segmental
arch enriched with plasterwork. Modillion cornice and fine
theme ceiling of ornamental plasterwork featuring Hercules
being welcomed to Paradise by the pantheon of classical gods.
Smaller connecting room and room below have original fielded
panelling in 2 heights, the lower room with fluted Ionic
pilasters flanking the fireplace and 2 more shell alcoves with
cherub head keyblocks.
Other good original details around the building include
fielded-panel doors, eared architraves and moulded cornices.
Roof not inspected.
Well-preserved town house containing exceptionally high
quality craftsmanship. The plasterwork has parallels at The
Old Custom House (1739) on Bayards Cove (qv), and The Priory,
(Freeman, Ray: Dartmouth and its Neighbours: Phillimore:
Listing NGR: SX8782351228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings