This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3517 / 50°21'6"N
Longitude: -3.5803 / 3°34'49"W
OS Eastings: 287667
OS Northings: 51390
OS Grid: SX876513
Mapcode National: GBR QS.R9SW
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.F11
Entry Name: The Market Court
Listing Date: 14 September 1949
Last Amended: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387287
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 MARKET SQUARE
673-1/8/167 The Market Court
(Formerly Listed as:
Market (including central building))
Market Court House, now used as offices. 1828; renovated
c1975. Brown-coloured local sandstone rubble with green-grey
sandstone rubble detail; axial stack with rendered brick
chimneyshaft; slate roof.
PLAN: Rectangular building built on a rough east-west axis in
the centre of a cobbled yard enclosed by the pannier market
buildings (qv). Originally open on the ground floor with the
court on the first floor gained by steps up the east end, now
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Ground-floor arcade of 4 bays each side,
2-bay west end and 3-bay east end, all plain round-headed
arches with projecting keystones and springing from plain
projecting imposts on plain square columns. Projecting band to
first-floor level with blind rectangular panels along sides,
C20 replacement casement with glazing bars at west end and
doorway at east end from double flight of granite steps. Roof
is gable-ended with deep eaves carried on shaped brackets.
Gables have richly-carved bargeboards with apex pendants.
Ground-floor arcade filled mostly with C20 full-height windows
but 2 eastern bays on north side blocked with masonry.
East-end arcade has central doorway containing panelled double
doors under an arch beneath the stairs. Stairs block the outer
arches this end and it may be that there was originally an
inside stair and the present east-end first-floor doorway,
part-glazed double doors with overlight, is secondary. Early
painted board fixed to north side prohibiting the leaving of
mules on any public highway, market place or slip, by order of
the mayor, Daniel Codner, dated 1839.
INTERIOR: Plain with no exposed carpentry.
HISTORY: Built on land reclaimed from the medieval tidal mill
pond, work supervised by the Rev.Charles Holdsworth using
family money, the interest to be paid out of borough income.
(Freeman, Ray: Dartmouth and its Neighbours: Phillimore:
Listing NGR: SX8766751390
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings