History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gateway and Railings to the Churchyard of the Parish Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II Listed Building in Crediton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7892 / 50°47'21"N

Longitude: -3.6522 / 3°39'8"W

OS Eastings: 283634

OS Northings: 100149

OS Grid: SS836001

Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZLKP

Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.8YX

Entry Name: Gateway and Railings to the Churchyard of the Parish Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 2 October 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197557

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387120

Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Crediton

Built-Up Area: Crediton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Crediton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text


CREDITON

SS834000 UNION ROAD
672-1/6/169 (North side)
Gateway and railings to the
churchyard of the Parish Church of
the Holy Cross

GV II

Gateway and railings to the churchyard of the parish church.
Wall to the west 1829, John Berry, mason (DRO), railings
missing, iron gate by Jonas Pollard of Crediton, ironmonger.
Wall, gatepiers and gates to the south 1838, design of gates
and ironwork by John and Thomas Pollard, ironmongers of
Crediton (DRO). Railings to east and north probably 1830s.
Granite and local volcanic trap rubble, cast iron railings and
gates. The south wall, fronting East Street, is built of large
blocks of granite ashlar with granite coping, railings
missing. Tall square section granite piers to a wide central
gateway, with smaller pedestrian gates with piers to left and
right. The piers have deep moulded plinths and flat-topped
granite caps. The centre gateway has an overthrow with wrought
iron scrolls and a lamp-holder with a finial. Pair of large
gates, each with a dog rail and high rail decorated with
quatrefoils and a brace betweeen the dog and high rail. Below
the dog rail the verticals have spear finials with thick
scrolls. Spear finials above the top rail; urn finials to the
standards. Similar design to pedestrian gates. Gateway
opposite the west door of similar design, also with a wrought
iron overthrow with a lamp-holder. Railings to the east and
north sides of the churchyard are on low walls with granite
coping with columnar standards with urn finials, the verticals
with spear finials. Railings to the south east corner of a
slightly different design, probably 1911, when the Buller
memorial was erected. Important to the setting of the church
and interesting as an example of precisely-dated late Georgian
and early Victorian gates.
(Crediton Parish Church Vestry Minutes, 1751-1828: 1660A/A18;
Crediton Parish Church Vestry Minutes: PARISH RECORDS R4/2/).


Listing NGR: SS8363400149

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.