This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3485 / 50°20'54"N
Longitude: -3.5778 / 3°34'40"W
OS Eastings: 287834
OS Northings: 51029
OS Grid: SX878510
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RJDW
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.V81
Entry Name: The Old Custom House
Listing Date: 11 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387158
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 BAYARDS COVE
673-1/8/30 (West side)
The Old Custom House
Formerly known as: No.4 Custom House or Trinity House BAYARDS
House, former Custom House. Built 1737-39 on site of 4
cottages which were acquired by John Seale who erected the new
building and leased it to H.M. Customs and Excise; extra
storey added c1930, converted to domestic residence c1985.
Painted Flemish-bond brick; brick chimneyshafts to front end
and rear lateral stacks; slate roof.
PLAN: Double-depth plan building, 2 rooms wide with central
entrance to passage and rear staircase. Service rooms to rear
with rear lateral stack.
EXTERIOR: Originally 2 storeys with attics, raised to 3
storeys c1930. Symmetrical 1:3:1-window front, the centre
broken forward very slightly under pediment. 16-pane sashes
under flat arches at ground-floor level, larger 12-pane sashes
under low segmental arches on the first floor, and three
12-pane sashes to C20 added second floor. Large timber central
front doorway has double 3-panel door under a plain overlight
and timber surround with eared architrave under segmental hood
on shaped timber brackets - the date 1739 is painted below.
Shallow plat band at second-floor level in place of original
eaves cornice. Present deep eaves with plastered soffit to
parallel gable-ended roof with front pediment. Lower part of
left lead downpipe is original with winged cherub heads on the
INTERIOR: Well-preserved. Entrance passage lined with
panelling in 2 heights - flat rails and muntins with shallow
ovolo mouldings and vertical plank panelling (fragmentary
remains of similar panelling first-floor front). Open-well
open-string stair with slender turned balusters with blocks,
turned newel posts, moulded flat handrail and (early) curtail
step. First floor has timber box cornice including deep
coving. Late C20 partitions curve round central moulded
plaster section of ceiling - hollow rib oval panel around
central face in starburst and, around the oval, female heads
and fleur-de-lys-like finials.
Interesting brick building with many similarities with The
Mansion House, No.2 Mansion House Street (qv) built in 1736.
Freeman publishes an 1887 photograph of The Custom House,
before the third storey was added (see sources). One of a good
group of listed buildings on the old quay.
(Freeman, Ray: Dartmouth and its Neighbours: Phillimore:
1990-: PL.99; P.139).
Listing NGR: SX8783051024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings