This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7701 / 53°46'12"N
Longitude: -0.3592 / 0°21'33"W
OS Eastings: 508240
OS Northings: 431666
OS Grid: TA082316
Mapcode National: GBR GHC.QX
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.GH5M
Entry Name: Newland Homes Captain Allison House
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387522
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU6
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: University
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Newland St John
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/04/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL
COTTINGHAM ROAD (North side)
Newland Homes, Captain Allison House
Formerly known as: Sanatorium at Newland Homes COTTINGHAM ROAD.
Former orphanage by WH Bingley of Hull, now old people's home. 1898, with late C20
alterations and additions. Paid for by Joseph Rank.
MATERIALS: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs. Windows are mainly plain sashes.
EXTERIOR: main block, to right, single-storey; eight-window range. Projecting hipped central block with flanking wings. two external side wall and two ridge stacks, all coped. In the centre, a large square gabled bay window with two sashes and above them, arecessed inscribed panel with date. On either side, single windows. Beyond, on either side, a pair of gabled through-eaves dormers with single sashes. The left pair is covered by a late C20 lean-to porch. The right pair is partly covered by a flat-roofed single-storey addition. To left and set back, a bungalow, attached to the main building by a corridor. Single massive ridge stack. Central through-eaves gabled porch with half-glazed door under semicircular hood on brackets. On either side, a square bay window with a three-light transomed wooden casement.
HISTORY: this complex of orphan homes and ancillary buildings was built 1895-1902 by the Port of Hull Society and endowed by various benefactors whose names are attached to the various buildings. The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen was founded in 1821. The society established the Sailors’ Orphans Institution in 1836, but it did not have a permanent home until the Park Street orphanage was built in 1868-9, largely funded by (Sir) Titus Salt of Saltaire. The orphanage in Park Street was sold in 1897, by which time all the children were accommodated in the new complex on Cottingham Road
Listing NGR: TA0824031666
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings