This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7694 / 53°46'9"N
Longitude: -0.3574 / 0°21'26"W
OS Eastings: 508360
OS Northings: 431587
OS Grid: TA083315
Mapcode National: GBR GJD.26
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.HJ05
Entry Name: Newland Homes St Andrews House
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387529
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU6
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: University
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Newland St John
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 31/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL
COTTINGHAM ROAD (North side)
Newland Homes, St Andrews House
Former orphanage by WH Bingley of Hull. 1897.
MATERIALS: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof with two side wall, one ridge and two gable stacks.
EXTERIOR: plinth, first-floor band, traceried bargeboards with collars to main gable. Two storeys; six window range. Windows are mainly plain sashes. Projecting gabled centre with a paired sash under a segment-headed label mould framing a commemorative plaque. Beyond, on either side, two windows. Below, a square hipped bay window with two sashes, flanked by single smaller windows. Beyond, to left, a sash, then a triangular bay window with two sashes. To right, a hipped porch in the return angle, with wooden posts. Under it, a half-glazed door and a single window. To its right, a single window.
This complex of orphan homes and ancillary buildings was built 1895-1902 by the Port of Hull Society and endowed by various benefactors whose names are attached to the various buildings. The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen was founded in 1821.The society established the Sailors’ Orphans Institution in 1836, but it did not have a permanent home until the Park Street orphanage was built in 1868-9, largely funded by (Sir) Titus Salt of Saltaire. The orphanage in Park Street was sold in 1897, by which time all the children were accommodated in the new complex on Cottingham Road.
Listing NGR: TA0836031587
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings