This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7698 / 53°46'11"N
Longitude: -0.3592 / 0°21'33"W
OS Eastings: 508243
OS Northings: 431631
OS Grid: TA082316
Mapcode National: GBR GHD.Q1
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.GH6V
Entry Name: Newland Homes Whitby and Hartlepool House
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387533
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU6
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: University
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Newland St John
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 31/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL
COTTINGHAM ROAD (North side)
Newland Homes, Whitby and Hartlepool House
Former orphanage by WH Bingley of Hull. Dated 1902. Paid for by benefactors from Whitby and Hartlepool.
MATERIAL: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs with three coped ridge stacks.
EXTERIORI: plinth, ground-floor lintel band, first-floor sill band, traceried bargeboards to main gables. Two storeys; eight -window range. Windows are plain sashes, mostly with stone transoms. Hipped projecting centre has two windows on each floor, the larger ground-floor windows divided by a gabled brick buttress. On either side, a recess with a plain window above and below, a half-glazed door with an inscribed datestone with crest above it. Flanking wings have each two windows and below, a hipped square brick bay window with two sashes.
This complex of orphan homes and ancillary buildings was built 1895-1902 by the Port of Hull Society and endowed by various benefactors whose names are attached to the various buildings. The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen was founded in 1821. The society established the Sailors’ Orphans Institution in 1836, but it did not have a permanent home until the Park Street orphanage was built in 1868-9, largely funded by (Sir) Titus Salt of Saltaire. The orphanage in Park Street was sold in 1897, by which time all the children were accommodated in the new complex on Cottingham Road.
Listing NGR: TA0824331631
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings