This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7349 / 53°44'5"N
Longitude: -0.3774 / 0°22'38"W
OS Eastings: 507129
OS Northings: 427727
OS Grid: TA071277
Mapcode National: GBR GCS.TJ
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.5DJ2
Entry Name: Adjoining Nursery School newington Primary School
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197607
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387541
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU3
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: St Andrew's
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull St John the Baptist, Newington
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA02NE DAIRYCOATES AVENUE
680-1/8/126 (West side)
Newington Primary School and
adjoining Nursery School
Primary school and adjoining nursery school. Dated 1885 and
1898, by W Botterill. Late C20 alterations. Brick with ashlar
and terracotta dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs.
Flemish Renaissance Revival style. Plinth, sill band, moulded
brick eaves, shaped coped gables. Single storey; 17-window
range. Windows are segment-headed glazing bar casements and
sashes, those to the front with keystones.
Primary school, to right, has a central block flanked by
single-storey wings and hipped end pavilions. Central
shouldered shaped gable has 3 windows divided by pilasters,
the outer pair rising through a cornice and topped with ball
finials. Above the windows, terracotta relief panels, and
above again, a larger dated panel under a pediment. The roof
is topped with an octagonal wooden bell turret with ogee lead
dome and finial.
Single storey wings have have a central double door with
glazing bar overlight, flanked by pilasters. On either side a
small double sash. The left wing door is blocked.
End pavilions have 2 large through-eaves dormers with
pilasters, cornice and shouldered shaped gable under a
pediment. Each has 2 casements. Roofs are topped with square
wooden bell turrets with square ogee domes and finials.
Adjoining nursery school, to left, has a main block at right
angles to the street and 2 gabled rear wings. To right, a
shouldered shaped gable topped with a pediment. 3 windows with
hoodmoulds and shaped keystones, flanked by pilasters. In the
gable, a datestone. Right return has 3 gabled through-eaves
dormers with single windows, the right one blocked, and 3
smaller windows. The range is topped with a tapered octagonal
wooden bell turret with lead dome and finial. To left,
front-facing wing with a central round-arched through-eaves
dormer, with a relief panel in the tympanum and a small
pediment above. On either side, a single small window.
Listing NGR: TA0712927727
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings