This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7586 / 53°45'31"N
Longitude: -0.3488 / 0°20'55"W
OS Eastings: 508953
OS Northings: 430405
OS Grid: TA089304
Mapcode National: GBR GKJ.X1
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.MS3F
Entry Name: The Bull Public House
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387467
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU5
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Newland
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sculcoates St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA0830 BEVERLEY ROAD
680-1/14/63 (East side)
The Bull Public House
Public house. 1903. By Freeman, Son & Gaskell, with mid and
late C20 alterations. Red brick with terrracotta clad ground
floor, terracotta dressings and hipped plain tile roof with
coped side wall stack. Renaissance revival style. Moulded sill
bands, frieze and cornice. 3 storeys; 3x4 windows. Windows are
mainly wooden cross casements, those to the ground floor
partly reglazed. All have pilastered surrounds, and those to
the upper floors have corbelled sills.
Main front has a small round-arched central window with broken
pediment, flanked by single larger elliptical-arched windows
with swan-neck pediments. At the corner, to left, a
wrought-iron bracket carrying a gilt bull. Above, 2 pedimented
round-arched windows set in an elaborate shaped gable with
obelisk finials and a central cartouche inscribed "Bull Inn".
Below, a central round-arched doorway with pilasters, under an
elaborate scrolled keystone with festoons of leaves and a ball
finial, which forms a centrepiece to the ground floor cornice.
On either side, a large elliptical-arched window with
hoodmould and keystone.
Left front, to Stepney Street, has similar fenestration on the
first floor plus an additional bay to left with a pair of
single light round-arched windows under a pediment. Above,
fenestration and gable similar to the Beverley Road front.
Below, a single round-arched doorway under an elaborate
keystone, flanked to left by a larger elliptical-arched double
doorway. To right, 2 elliptical-arched windows. Beyond, to
left, a 2-storey block with coped facing gable and single
INTERIOR has front bar refitted mid C20 and first floor dining
room with moulded cornice and panelled cross beam ceiling and
moulded window surrounds. Dogleg wooden stair with winders,
spindle balusters and ramped scrolled handrail.
(1894 M 3485).
Listing NGR: TA0895330405
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings