History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Statue of Andrew Marvell on North Side of South Church Side

A Grade II Listed Building in Myton, City of Kingston upon Hull

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7417 / 53°44'30"N

Longitude: -0.3355 / 0°20'7"W

OS Eastings: 509877

OS Northings: 428544

OS Grid: TA098285

Mapcode National: GBR GNQ.R3

Mapcode Global: WHGFR.T6FW

Entry Name: Statue of Andrew Marvell on North Side of South Church Side

Listing Date: 21 January 1994

Last Amended: 29 July 2005

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197623

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387469

Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1

County: City of Kingston upon Hull

Electoral Ward/Division: Myton

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kingston upon Hull

Listing Text

KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA 0928 SE Market Place
(South side)
680-1/22/46
Statue of Andrew Marvell on
north side of South Church

Side

21-JAN-1994
II


Statue of Andrew Marvell by William Day Keyworth junior (1843-1902). 1867, resited 1902, 1922, 1963 and 1999. White marble statue on a coloured granite plinth and limestone base. Standing figure, facing north, in C17 dress on a square pedestal with chamfered plinth and moulded top, with inscription to front, raised on late C20 square limestone base of 4 steps with ball finials at corners. Damaged left hand remodelled 1999.
Presented to the City by Councillor John Winship in 1867.
Originally sited in the Town Hall.Moved to corner of Smeaton Street, George Street and Savile Street 1902; corner of Bond Street and George Street 1922, grounds of William Gee School in 1963, and to its present site in 1999.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.