This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7447 / 53°44'40"N
Longitude: -0.3322 / 0°19'56"W
OS Eastings: 510085
OS Northings: 428878
OS Grid: TA100288
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.G1
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.V4ZL
Entry Name: City Hotel
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197649
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387425
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA1028NW ALFRED GELDER STREET
680-1/23/19 (North West side)
Includes: No.14 LOWGATE.
Hotel. Dated 1904, by Brodrick, Lowther & Walker of Hull.
Brick with granite plinth and ashlar dressings, with slate
mansard roof. Plinth, cornice to ground floor, sill bands,
dentillated cornice, single shaped coped gable, 2 plain coped
gables. 4 storeys plus attics; 8x1 windows. L-plan with corner
tower. Windows are have stone mullions and transoms and
cornices, some of them linked.
Main front has the 3 bays near the centre defined by
pilasters, plus an angle pilaster to right. In the centre, a
pair of cross casements, flanked to left by a 3-light cross
casement, then a pair of similar windows. To right, a
transomed single window, then a pair of cross casements.
Above, a central 4-light mullioned window flanked to left by a
2-light window, then two 3-light windows. To right, a
single-light window, then a 4-light one. Above again, smaller
windows, with a 4-light central window flanked on either side
by single-light windows, then to left, 2 two-light windows.
Beyond, to right, a 4-light window. Attic has a central shaped
coped gable with a 2-light window. To left, a 3-light box
Ground floor has a round-arched doorway with panelled double
doors, relief-carved tympanum and hoodmould. On either side, a
3-light cross casement flanked by single-light windows. To
right, a small doorway with cornice, then a round-arched
doorway with granite pilasters, glazing bar fanlight and open
Polygonal corner tower, to left, has an ashlar top storey with
a moulded cornice and an ogee copper dome. On the first floor,
a single light transomed window with cornice, flanked by
larger similar windows with moulded surrounds and aprons.
Floors above have similar fenestration with smaller windows
and without transoms or aprons. Ground floor has similar
fenestration under continuous cornice.
Single bay left return, to Lowgate, has on the first floor a
4-light cross casement with a relief-carved apron dated 1904.
Above, a smaller 3-light mullioned window on each floor.
Below, 3 single light transomed windows separated by
Listing NGR: TA1008528878
Other nearby listed buildings