This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.744 / 53°44'38"N
Longitude: -0.3281 / 0°19'41"W
OS Eastings: 510359
OS Northings: 428812
OS Grid: TA103288
Mapcode National: GBR GQP.B8
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.X5Y3
Entry Name: Former Trinity House Buoy Shed
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387817
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU9
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Drypool
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Drypool St Columba
Church of England Diocese: York
This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
TA 1028 NW,
KINGSTON UPON HULL,
TOWER STREET (East side),
Former Trinity House Buoy Shed
Former buoy shed, now a workshop. Designed by David Christie, 1901,
with late C20 alterations.
Brick with ashlar, terracotta and concrete
dressings and slate and corrugated iron roofs. Plinth, string
course, coped parapet. Bays are defined by pilasters with
relief panels at their heads, which rise above the parapet to
form coped pedestals. 2 storeys; 5 plus 1 bays.
River front has 3 projecting bays with dentillated cornices
and ashlar and terracotta dressings. Blank central bay has a
large square relief plaque dated 1901. On either side, smaller
blank bays, then larger projecting bays with 2 square iron
glazing bar windows with shaped surrounds. Below,
elliptical-arched cart entrances with voussoirs and keystones.
Left entrance has a pair of doors. Right entrance has brick
infill with 2 tall windows. To right again, a lower
single-storey building with blue brick bands flanking an
elliptical-arched cart entrance with brick surround and
Similar rear elevation has ashlar and concrete dressings.
Projecting bays have each 2 square windows and below, a
segment-arched recess with voussoirs and keystone. Central
recess has a roller shutter and outer recesses have 2 tall
glazing bar windows. To left, single-storey building has an
elliptical-arched cart opening with a pair of doors.
North return has a smaller recessed central bay with a
round-arched doorway and above it, a plaque and a pole with a
weather vane. On either side, projecting bays with dentillated
cornices. Each has 2 square windows and right bay has, below,
an elliptical-arched cart entrance. Hull Trinity House was
responsible for buoying and navigation in the Humber from the
Listing NGR: TA1035928812
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings