History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, 5 and 6, Whitefriargate

A Grade II Listed Building in Myton, City of Kingston upon Hull

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7428 / 53°44'34"N

Longitude: -0.3351 / 0°20'6"W

OS Eastings: 509902

OS Northings: 428671

OS Grid: TA099286

Mapcode National: GBR GNP.VP

Mapcode Global: WHGFR.T6M0

Entry Name: 4, 5 and 6, Whitefriargate

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Last Amended: 21 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197674

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387837

Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1

County: City of Kingston upon Hull

Electoral Ward/Division: Myton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kingston upon Hull

Listing Text


KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA0928NE WHITEFRIARGATE
680-1/22/386 (South side)
13/10/52 Nos.4, 5 AND 6
(Formerly Listed as:
WHITEFRIARGATE
(South side)
No.4)
(Formerly Listed as:
WHITEFRIARGATE
(South side)
No.5)
(Formerly Listed as:
WHITEFRIARGATE
(South side)
No.6)

GV II

Former bank and adjoining houses, now shops. 1829-30, with
late C20 alterations. By Charles Mountain Junior for Hull
Trinity House. Brick with painted ashlar dressings, roof not
visible. Single ridge stack. Incomplete ground floor cornice,
main cornice, balustrade with pedestals. 3 storeys; 11-window
range. Slightly projecting centre, 5 bays, defined by giant
Doric pilasters with giant Ionic pilasters between the
windows. Topped with a pediment containing the arms of Thomas
Ferres (who bestowed the site upon Trinity House in 1621) with
supporters and motifs appropriate to the activities of Trinity
House. This was sculpted by Thomas Earle. Reglazed first floor
centre windows have moulded surrounds and pediments on scroll
brackets. Above, five 6-pane sashes with moulded surrounds. On
either side, three 12-pane sashes, those to the left partly
reglazed, with cornices on consoles. Above, three 6-pane
sashes with brick flat arches. On the ground floor, 3 late C20
shop fronts, the central one with granite-clad piers to a
recessed entrance. These buildings are part of a composition
by Mountain which comprises Nos 1-9 (consecutive)
Whitefriargate. The central block was designed for Smith's
Bank.
(Hall I & E: Georgian Hull: York: 1978-1979: 53,54,60;
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 277).


Listing NGR: TA0992828667

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.