This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7429 / 53°44'34"N
Longitude: -0.3358 / 0°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 509854
OS Northings: 428681
OS Grid: TA098286
Mapcode National: GBR GNP.PN
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.T58X
Entry Name: 10-15, Whitefriargate
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387839
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
680-1/22/388 (South side)
13/10/52 Nos.10-15 (Consecutive)
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Public house and attached houses, now shops and offices. 1795,
with additions and alterations late C19, 1920 and late C20. By
George Pycock for Hull Trinity House. Brick with painted
ashlar dressings and gabled and mansard slate roofs. Main
block with projecting end pavilions and lower flanking wings.
Main block, 3 storeys plus attics; 7-window range. First floor
corbelled sill band, modillion cornice with central tablet
flanked by sculptured blocks, parapet with ramped coping and
central sculptured block with corbelled sill band. Central
round-arched recess with Venetian window with Doric columns
and quarter pilasters, and a pseudo-balustrade. On either
side, 2 round-arched 12-pane sashes with moulded heads. Over
each of these windows, a sunken panel with relief sculpture.
Attic has a central tripartite glazing bar sash, flanked by
two 6-pane sashes with rubbed brick arches.
Ground floor has central elliptical-arched carriage opening
with rusticated surround and mask keystone, and a section of
moulded cornice with a scroll bracket at each end. The
remainder of the ground floor has 3 late C20 shop fronts with
End pavilions have large round-arched recesses with brick
pilasters, moulded imposts and rubbed brick heads, each with a
tripartite sash with pilasters and cornice. Above, a
Diocletian window. Above again, a dentillated pediment below
the attic. Attics have 2 round windows.
Lower flanking wings, 3 storeys; 3-window range. Moulded coped
parapets. Windows mainly have brick flat arches. Left wing has
3 plain sashes and above, three 9-pane sashes. Right wing has
3 large late C19 round-headed 2-light glazing bar casements
with pilasters between them. On either side, panelled
pilasters with wreaths, carrying a fascia with scroll brackets
and dentillated cornice. Above, three 9-pane sashes. Ground
floors have late C20 shop fronts.
At the rear, to east, rear wing, altered late C19 and mid C20,
with slate mansard roof. 3 storeys plus attics; 3-window range
of tripartite sahes with brick flat arches, those to the first
floor blocked. Above, 3 box dormers with 2-light casements.
Ground floor has 2 double doorways and a blocked opening. To
east, addition dated 1920. 2 storeys; 5-window range.
INTERIOR has on the first floor a former dining room with
dentillated cornice and tripartite plaster panelled coved
ceiling in Adam style. South wall has central round-arched
recess and east and west walls have each 2 recesses with
semi-elliptical heads. Between the recesses, elliptical wall
panels with vine enrichment. Enriched doorcases with friezes
Founded in 1795 as part of the long term redevelopment of
Trinity House property, the Neptune Inn was a commercial
failure. By 1817 it had become the Customs House, and from the
mid C19 was mainly used as offices, with shops on the ground
No.15 was listed on 16.06.71
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 277; Hall I & E: Georgian Hull:
York: 1978-1979: 61, 84, 91).
Listing NGR: TA0985428681
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings