This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7609 / 53°45'39"N
Longitude: -0.3554 / 0°21'19"W
OS Eastings: 508517
OS Northings: 430650
OS Grid: TA085306
Mapcode National: GBR GJH.J6
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.JQ0P
Entry Name: No. 31, QUEENS ROAD
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197688
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387762
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU5
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Avenue
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sculcoates St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL,
QUEEN'S ROAD (North side),
(Formerly listed as: No. 36, Queens Road)
(Previously listed as St Vincent's Hotel)
Built as St Vincent’s Boys Home, 1908-1909, architect Arthur Lowther of Hull.
Later old people's home, converted
late C20. Brown brick with red brick and ashlar dressings and
hipped and gabled slate roofs with two side wall stacks.
Main block, to right, four storeys plus attics; 5-window range.
Windows are mainly glazing bar cross casements. Plinth, second
floor band, corner pilasters with red brick quoins. Projecting
centre has on the second floor a pair of transomed windows and
beyond, on either side, a cross casement. Beyond again, single
cross casements. Above, a canted 2-storey bay window on a
shaped bracket, with roughcast panels and crenellated parapet.
Three plain casements flanked by single cross casements and
beyond, further single casements. Above again, the bay window
forms a dormer with a 3-light plain casement and flanking
pilasters. Below, a slightly projecting range with a pair of
canted 2-storey bay windows with three cross casements above and
2-light plain casements below. Between them, a round-headed
niche. Beyond, on either side, a cross casement on each floor.
Right return has a projecting central bay, three storeys, with a
window on each floor. Above it, a box dormer.
Left return has a 3-storey corridor connecting with the left
wing. On the first floor, a cross casement and above, a
similar window flanked by smaller transomed windows. Below, a
segment-headed double doorway with barred fanlight and
segmental hood on brackets. On either side, a plain 2-light
3-storey left wing, eight windows, has red brick quoins. At each
corner a diagonally placed projecting gabled bay with a single
glazing bar window on each floor. Similar fenestration on each
side of the projections. South facing end has a cross casement
on the upper floors and below, a pair of panelled half-glazed
doors with overlights. Left return, to west, has regular
fenestration with a fire escape in the third bay.
Listing NGR: TA0851730650
Other nearby listed buildings