This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7431 / 53°44'35"N
Longitude: -0.3336 / 0°20'1"W
OS Eastings: 509996
OS Northings: 428706
OS Grid: TA099287
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.5L
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.V59S
Entry Name: The Old White Hart Inn (Ye Olde White Harte)
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387790
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL,
SILVER STREET, (North side),
THE OLD WHITE HART INN
House, now Public house and restaurant. c1660, by William Catlyn remodelled in 1881 by Smith & Brodrick, further altered late C20.
MATERIALS: red brick, painted at first floor level, coped gables and pantile roof covering.
PLAN: two bars on ground floor divided by the staircase set slightly to left. Two rooms on first floor used as restaurant.
EXTERIOR: Two storey plus attics. Late C17 Artisan Mannerist facade, much altered in 1881. Slightly projecting centre bay with pedimented gable. To left canted two-sided bay, formed in 1881. Two four-light transomed windows under square heads with keystones. Round-arched brick doorway with leaded glazed door, oval overlight. To right, three windows similar to those left of doorway. Further right chamfered angle with double panelled door flanked by window to left. Prominent dentilled cornice of 1881. First floor less altered. Seven-window range. Either side of the central bay three 12-pane sash windows, side ones in sunken surrounds, centre ones slightly projecting. Central bay with tall single-light window, attic has square single-light window, both dated c1881. Lower one has straight sided pediment above, upper one round-headed pediment. Pediments re-used from above former ground floor windows, modillion eaves, renewed coped gables. Ground floor, upper central window, and upper floor of former billiard room across alley with stained glass of 1881. To right, late C18 and early C19 additions, brick with rendered ground floor. Two three storey ranges linked by single storey block, all with irregular fenestration.
INTERIOR: ground floor bars largely result of 1881 remodelling including broad, deep brick fireplace in each. Panelled bar fronts 1881 in C17 style but canted appearance of left-hand one late C20, and possibly right-hand one also. Dog-leg staircase with both original C17 woodwork and 1881 additions. Fire damage from 1883 showing on some timbers. Turned balusters and square newels. On staircase C17 plank door with round-headed panel. On right of first floor landing full-height, oak-panelled room, some reused early C17 details in overmantel, elaborate frieze. To left of landing room again panelled to full height but details somewhat plainer. Small panelled room leads off from one corner behind stair. In landing window stained glass depicting Sir John Hotham, Governor of Hull from 1641.
HISTORY: recent research has confirmed that the Old White Hart was the residence of the deputy-governor of Hull in 1688, and the location of the meeting to plot the overthrow of the Catholic governor, appointed by James II, following the arrival of William of Orange in England in November 1688. The event was long celebrated on ‘Town Taking Day’. This was a very important event in the history of Hull, showing the independence of the town. The tradition, believed to originate in C19, that the public house was the residence of Sir John Hotham who in 1642 precipitated the siege of Hull, and in turn the Civil War, by refusing to admit Charles I to the city, can be discounted as a myth, as evidence from documentary and architectural research in the late C20 indicates the building was not erected until after the Civil War.
A good example of the modest but free use of Classical models in what has become styled the 'Artisan Mannerist' style. The remodelling of 1881 is an interesting, Romantic recreation of an idealised C17 inn, complete with massive fireplaces.
Listing NGR: TA0999628705
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings