This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7463 / 53°44'46"N
Longitude: -0.3525 / 0°21'9"W
OS Eastings: 508740
OS Northings: 429031
OS Grid: TA087290
Mapcode National: GBR GKN.4G
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.K3BB
Entry Name: (Former) Park Street Centre of Hull College
Listing Date: 12 November 1973
Last Amended: 4 August 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197704
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387699
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU2
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sculcoates All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
TA 02 NE,
KINGSTON UPON HULL,
PARK STREET (West side),
Humberside College of Further Education, Park Street Annexe
(Formerly known as: Annexe to the College of Technology PARK STREET)
House, circa 1858, used from 1867 by the Port of Hull Society's Sailors' Orphans Institution as an orphanage. Central and right-hand blocks added by William Botterill in 1868-69. Late C19 and late C20 alterations and additions.
MATERIALS: yellow brick, with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs with four side walls and two ridge stacks.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sill bands, modillion cornice. Three storeys; 13-window range. Windows are plain sashes. Projecting centre, three windows, has a pediment with a sculptural group by William Day Kegworth Junior, of Charity with orphan children, maritime emblems and the arms of Sir Titus Salt, the main benefactor. On the first floor, tripartite central window with composite pilasters and a segmental pediment. On either side, single windows with triangular pediments. Above, similar fenestration with smaller windows with moulded surrounds. Below, portico with balustrade and paired Doric columns, covering a panelled door with overlight and sidelights. Flanking ranges have slightly projecting centres, three windows, with pediments. On each floor, five windows, all with slightly cambered panelled lintels with keystones. Right return, to Londesborough Street, has five similar windows on the lower floors and seven windows to the second floor. To right, a hipped addition, two storeys; three-window range.
HISTORY: The five-bay block to the left with a three-bay pediment was built by 1858 and was known as Thanet House, and used as a private school. It was purchased in 1867 by the Port of Hull Society for use as their Sailor’s Orphan Institution. In 1868-89 the central three-bay block and five-bay block on the right were added by William Botterill. The orphanage was sold by the Port of Hull Society in 1897 and the following year it opened as Hull Municipal Technical School with alterations and additions by Botterill, Son & Bilson (John Bilson).
Listing NGR: TA0874029031
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings