This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7445 / 53°44'40"N
Longitude: -0.3425 / 0°20'32"W
OS Eastings: 509411
OS Northings: 428846
OS Grid: TA094288
Mapcode National: GBR GMP.83
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.Q43Q
Entry Name: King Albert Chambers
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387627
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA0928NW JAMESON STREET
680-1/21/209 (South side)
King Albert Chambers
Offices and shops. Designed 1915 by T Beecroft Atkinson of
Hull, and completed 1923. Late C20 alterations. Red brick with
white faience tile dressings and plain tile roofs. Flemish
Renaissance Revival style. Rusticated pilasters, moulded main
cornice, modillion eaves. 3 storeys plus attics; 7-window
range. 3-storey rear range in similar style.
Central entrance bay has a 2-storey round-arched recess
containing a 2-storey semicircular oriel window with cross
casements with leaded glazing, and balustrade to the first
floor. On the first floor, on either side, a single cross
casement and beyond, a pair of similar windows. Above, similar
fenestration with 2-light round-arched plain sashes with
traceried heads and moulded round-arched surrounds. Below the
windows, moulded panels with lozenges.
Attic storey has a central through-eaves dormer behind a
balustrade, with an elaborate stepped gable supported by
volutes and topped with a segmental pediment. Single plain
sash with moulded round-arched tympanun and shaped keystone.
On either side, 2 plain sashes. Beyond, on either side, a very
large and elaborate stepped gable with volutes and obelisk
finials, topped with a pediment. Triple plain sash with
cornices and central segmental pediment.
Ground floor has a central moulded round-arched doorway with
keystone and lintel inscribed "King Albert Chambers". On
either side, 2 shop fronts, altered late C20, separated by
heavily rusticated pilasters carrying curved brackets to a
continuous fascia cornice.
Right return, to Little Queen Street, has similar
fenestration. First and second floors have 2 windows to left
and to right, an entrance bay defined by pilasters, with a
single window on each floor. Attic has 4 plain sashes. Ground
floor has a continuation of the main shop front, with a late
C20 shop window and corner doorway. To right, a moulded
round-arched double doorway with keystone and flanking
pilasters, divided by a central pier and transom.
To right again, a 3-storey range, 4 windows, in a simpler
style. 2 cross casements flanked by single 3-light cross
casements, and above, 6 plain sashes. Below, 2 altered 2-light
windows flanked by single round-arched moulded doorways with
keystones and relief panelled fanlights.
Listing NGR: TA0941128846
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings