This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7436 / 53°44'37"N
Longitude: -0.3329 / 0°19'58"W
OS Eastings: 510045
OS Northings: 428760
OS Grid: TA100287
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.BF
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.V5ND
Entry Name: Ocean Chambers
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387660
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
680-1/23/238 (West side)
Office building. 1899-1900. By Brodrick, Lowther & Walker of
Hull. Ashlar with plain tile roof and 3 brick side wall stacks
with stone coping. Baroque Revival style. Full-width ground
floor entablature, sill bands and intermediate cornice. 3
storeys and 4 storeys plus basement and attics; 3-window
range. Windows mainly have stone mullions and transoms.
Asymmetrical facade has 2 canted bay windows 3 storeys to
right and 4 storeys to left. These have 5-light cross
mullioned windows with Ionic columns at the angles and
flanking Ionic pilasters. In the centre, on the first floor, a
3-light mullioned window above the entrance, and above, a
4-light cross mullioned window. Above again, a similar 3-light
window. To its right, a dormer with coped gable containing a
3-light cross mullioned window and topped with a niche with a
Above again, to left, a shouldered coped gable with 2 small
windows divided by a panel and under a cornice, topped by a
niche with broken segmental pediment and finial. To right, a
canted corner with dentillated cornice and topped with an ogee
lead dome, with two 3-light casements.
Central entrance with diced Ionic columns carrying a segmental
pediment on scroll brackets. In the tympanum, a sculpture in
high relief with a wreathed oval cartouche flanked by
dolphins. Moulded doorcase with double keystone and steps to
recessed round-arched doorway. To right, below the bay window,
a blocked 4-light mullioned basement window.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York And The East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 277).
Listing NGR: TA1004528760
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings