History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alexandra Dock: Walls, Lock Gates, Graving Docks, Extension Dock

A Grade II Listed Building in Marfleet, City of Kingston upon Hull

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7445 / 53°44'40"N

Longitude: -0.2968 / 0°17'48"W

OS Eastings: 512420

OS Northings: 428920

OS Grid: TA124289

Mapcode National: GBR GYP.02

Mapcode Global: WHHGX.D4WP

Entry Name: Alexandra Dock: Walls, Lock Gates, Graving Docks, Extension Dock

Listing Date: 16 August 1990

Last Amended: 21 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197739

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387570

Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU9

County: City of Kingston upon Hull

Electoral Ward/Division: Marfleet

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hull, Drypool St Columba

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kingston upon Hull

Listing Text


KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA12NW HEDON ROAD
680-1/9/150 (South side (off))
16/08/90 Alexandra Dock: walls, lock gates,
graving docks, extension dock
(Formerly Listed as:
HEDON ROAD
(South side (off))
Alexandra Dock, comprising the dock
walls, Graving docks and Extension
Dock)

GV II

Dock. 1880-85, extended 1899. Designed by James Abernethy and
supervised by Oldham & Bonn, for the Hull & Barnsley Railway
Co. Ashlar stonework and Portland Cement concrete. The dock
walls are slightly battered and extend downwards approx 12m.
The top 4m is faced with large ashlar blocks with rounded
coping. The dock is rectangular in plan, approx 700m x 300m
with a deep lock entrance on the south side with 3 pairs of
steel lock gates, the outer pair renewed 1927-28, the central
pair constructed 1957 and installed 1958. To the east, 3
jetties extend northward into the dock; this area was the
timber yard. On the east side, the entrance to the extension
dock, which was added in 1899. The north side has 2 graving
docks at the north-east corner, with stepped sides and access
stairs. The west side has a single central projecting jetty.
The dock was constructed as a general cargo dock and as an
outlet for the South Yorkshire coalfields.


Listing NGR: TA1242028920

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.