This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7428 / 53°44'34"N
Longitude: -0.3305 / 0°19'49"W
OS Eastings: 510201
OS Northings: 428675
OS Grid: TA102286
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.TP
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.W6S0
Entry Name: Crowle House
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387603
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
TA 1028 NW,
KINGSTON UPON HULL,
HIGH STREET (East side),
No.41, Crowle House
(Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (East side) No.41)
Warehouse and offices, incorporating part of a C17 house by William Catlyn. 1849 and 1664, with late C18 additions and alterations, restored 1981.
MATERIALS: brick with painted ashlar dressings and slate roof with single gable stack. Ashlar plinth, wooden gutter and brackets.
EXTERIOR: windows have segmental heads and brick flat arches. Four storeys plus basement; four-window range of plain sashes to the second and third floors and smaller six-pane sashes to the fourth floor. Ground floor has three plain sashes to left and a round-arched entrance to right with a C20 irWon gate and grille. Basement has a barred segment-headed opening. Right return has an off-centre recess containing the C17 house front and plaques with the initials of George and Eleanor Crowle and the date 1664. Four storeys; three-window range. Renewed coped parapet. Projecting central entrance bay has brick flanking pilasters with Corinthian capitals and diamond and jewel enrichment. On the first floor, a 12-pane sash with keystone, and tympanum containing a lozenge with an inscribed device. On either side, round-arched blanks containing similar lozenges. Tympanum and banks have keystones and decorated spandrels. Above, a 12-pane sash flanked by single smaller blanks, all with brick flat arches and keystones. Below, central brick doorcase with semicircular lead hood and C20 door and fanlight. Left return has a 12-pane sash on the lower floors and a 6-pane casement to the fourth floor. Right return has a similar segment-headed casement on each of 3 floors. To left, a mid-C19 block, four storeys; four-window range. Plinth and first-floor band. On the first floor, a tripartite sash, and to its right, three 12-pane sashes. Above, three similar sashes and above again, a similar sash and three two-light casements. On the ground floor, a six-panel double door with overlight and sidelights, flanked by single eight-pane sashes. To right, a 12-pane sash and an eight-pane one. To right, a projecting three-storey block with a glazed door on each floor to right and to left three segment-headed casements, those to the ground floor barred. To right again, a recessed three-storey block with patterned wall ties and brick sills and segment-headed windows. On the upper floors, five nine-pane casements. On the ground floor, to left, a similar window flanked by single segment-headed board doors with glazing bar overlights. To right, two nine-pane casements.
INTERIOR: has in the front range a late C18 wooden dogleg stair with turned balusters, octagonal newel and ramped scrolled handrail.
HISTORY: the house was built for Alderman George Crowle, and was for many years the home of the prominent Crowle family. George Crowle was one of the wealthiest merchants in Hull in the mid-late C17 trading with the Low Countries, Scandinavia and the Baltic. He was Sheriff of Hull in 1657 and Mayor in 1661 and 1679 and founded an almshouse in Sewer Lane in 1661.
William Catlyn was a bricklayer-architect of Hull who also designed Wilberforce House, High Street, Hull (see National Heritage List for England entry 1209831).
Listing NGR: TA1020128675
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings