This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7433 / 53°44'35"N
Longitude: -0.3302 / 0°19'48"W
OS Eastings: 510222
OS Northings: 428732
OS Grid: TA102287
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.WJ
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.W5YM
Entry Name: Hull and East Riding Museum
Listing Date: 12 November 1973
Last Amended: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197752
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387612
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA1028NW HIGH STREET
680-1/23/193 (South East side)
12/11/73 Hull and East Riding Museum
(Formerly Listed as:
Former corn exchange, now museum. Dated 1885, by Bellamy &
Hardy of Lincoln. Converted to museum 1925. Largely rebuilt
c1950, following wartime damage. Brick with ashlar front. Roof
not visible. Classical revival style. Plinth, lintel and sill
bands, modillion main cornice and similar cornice to attic
storey; pierced coped balustrade. 2 storeys plus basement and
attics; 3-window range. Projecting central entrance bay rises
through 2 floors, with round-arched opening with mask keystone
and spandrels sculptured with symbols of agriculture and
prosperity, flanked by Corinthian half-columns. Margin glazed
fanlight. Pair of well designed wrought-iron gates inscribed
with the architects' names and the date. On either side, a
tripartite casement window on each floor, with stone mullions.
The smaller first-floor windows have small balustraded
balconies on brackets. Attic storey has 3 round-arched windows
with moulded heads and keystones and detached inner stone
ring. The central window is flanked by enriched square double
columns and brackets carrying breaks in the crowning
entablature, which are topped with pedestals and urns. Central
half-round centre panel with the arms of Hull, topped with an
anthemion. INTERIOR rebuilt c1950.
(Buildings of England: N Pevsner: Yorkshire: York & the East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 276).
Listing NGR: TA1022228732
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings