History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pease Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Myton, City of Kingston upon Hull

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7447 / 53°44'41"N

Longitude: -0.3288 / 0°19'43"W

OS Eastings: 510313

OS Northings: 428892

OS Grid: TA103288

Mapcode National: GBR GQP.60

Mapcode Global: WHGFR.X4MJ

Entry Name: Pease Court

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Last Amended: 21 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197753

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387614

Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1

County: City of Kingston upon Hull

Electoral Ward/Division: Myton

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kingston upon Hull

Listing Text


KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA1028NW HIGH STREET
680-1/23/196 (East side)
13/10/52 Pease Court
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
(East side)
The Pease Warehouses fronting the
river to rear of No.18 High Street)

GV II

Warehouses, now flats. 1745 and 1760. For Joseph Pease.
Converted c1988. Brick with ashlar dressings and pantile
roofs. Low coped parapet. 4 storeys; 13-window range, arranged
6:7. Windows are mainly C20 segment-headed 2-light casements.
1745 warehouse, to right, has a central round-arched recess
rising through 3 storeys, with imposts inscribed 17-45 and
keystone inscribed "J P". On each floor, a matchboard infill
panel with a 2-light casement, and in the tympanum, a similar
window. On either side, 3 windows on each floor. Third floor
has 7 windows arranged 3:1:3. 1760 warehouse, to left, has to
left 5 windows on each floor. To right, a round-arched recess
rising through 3 floors, with imposts inscribed 17-60 and
keystone inscribed "J P". On each floor, a matchboard infill
panel with a 2-light casement, and in the tympanum a round
window covered by a hoist. Above again, a segment-headed
2-light casement. INTERIOR of 1745 warehouse has heavy
softwood posts, beams and joists. Joseph Pease was an oil
merchant, but during the mid C20 the warehouses were used for
storing grain. They are important survivals of C18 commercial
buildings associated with the Old Harbour.
(Hall I & E: Georgian Hull: York: 1978-1979: 74-75).


Listing NGR: TA1031328892

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.