This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7588 / 53°45'31"N
Longitude: -0.308 / 0°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 511644
OS Northings: 430493
OS Grid: TA116304
Mapcode National: GBR GVH.MZ
Mapcode Global: WHHGQ.7SL8
Entry Name: Holderness House
Listing Date: 12 November 1973
Last Amended: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387620
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU8
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Drypool
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Drypool St Columba
Church of England Diocese: York
This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
TA 13 SW,
KINGSTON UPON HULL,
HOLDERNESS ROAD (North West side),
(Formerly Listed as: HOLDERNESS ROAD Holderness House Rest Home)
House, now old people's home. 1838, converted mid C20, with mid C20 additions. By James Clephan of London.
MATERIALS: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate roofs, some of them with fish scale patterns.
EXTERIOR: Two side wall, two ridge and two gable stacks, several with grouped octagonal flues. Elizabethan Revival style. Plinth, sill bands, quoins, string courses, low parapets, coped gables, some of them shaped. Two storeys plus basement and attics; fivexfive windows. Windows are mainly stone mullioned cross casements. Entrance front has a square tower porch, four stages, with steps flanked by urns leading to an an open porch with a round-arched opening on three sides, the front one flanked by paired Doric pilasters. Margin stile fielded six-panel door with moulded surround and cornice. Above, a corniced 12-pane sash on each side, and above again, similar windows with pediments. Fourth stage, above main cornice, has a round window on four sides. Flanking the porch on the first floor, two two-light windows on each side. Above, to right, two through-eaves dormers with two-light mullioned windows. Below, on either side, a small single window, then two two-light windows. Two two-light mullioned windows to right of the porch and to left, a corniced doorway flanked by similar windows. Beyond, to left, a single-storey corridor with a three-light mullioned window and to left again, a gabled kitchen range with a similar window and tall side wall stack. Garden front, to right, has projecting wings with shouldered shaped gables. Each has a canted two-storey bay window with parapet and a five-light window on each floor. In each gable, a graduated three-light mullioned window. In the centre, a central two-light window flanked by single lights, the larger ground floor ones with transoms. Above again, three through-eaves dormers with shaped gables and two-light mullioned windows. South-east front has a central projection with shouldered shaped gable containing a graduated three-light window. On the lower floors, a three-light window, that to the ground floor large. On the first floor, on either side, two two-light windows, and above, on either side, two through-eaves dormers with shaped gables and two-light mullioned windows. Below, two taller two-light windows on each side. To right, a two-storey rear wing, three windows, and mid C20 two-storey addition.
INTERIOR: has entrance hall with shouldered wall panels, with festoons, and panelled ceiling. To left, a three-bay Tuscan colonnade to the stair well. Cantilever stone stair with landings, with patterned cast-iron balustrade. Stairwell has wall panels and on the first landing a three-bay Ionic colonnade. Panelled ceiling with skylight. Ground floor library has moulded cornice and fitted bookcases with glazing bars. Eared and shouldered wooden fireplace with overmantel mirror. Right ground floor room has moulded cornice, frieze with Greek Key and oval panelled ceiling. Mid C19 wooden fireplace with overmantel mirror.
HISTORY: Holderness House was the home of Thomas H. Ferens, managing director of Reckitts and Hull’s great benefactor, from 1909 to his death in 1930. The ashes of Ferens and his wife are buried in the grounds of the house. By the terms of Ferens’ will the house became a ‘rest home for poor gentlewomen in reduced circumstances’ endowed with £50,000. It continues as a residential care home for women run by the Holderness House Trust.
A Methodist, Ferens served as Liberal MP for East Hull and he spoke in the House of Commons to further the cause of women’s rights. He supported women’s suffrage at home and repeatedly drew attention to the trafficking of women and girls in the colonies. Ferens provided the funds to establish the University College, Hull [later University of Hull] as well as the Art Gallery named after him (see National Heritage List for England entry 1218995).
Listing NGR: TA1164430492
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings