This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4814 / 53°28'52"N
Longitude: -2.2451 / 2°14'42"W
OS Eastings: 383830
OS Northings: 398322
OS Grid: SJ838983
Mapcode National: GBR DJH.K0
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.HR3G
Entry Name: Number 54 and Chop House Public House thomas's Chop House
Listing Date: 3 October 1974
Last Amended: 4 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388046
Location: Manchester, M2
Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester St Ann
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
698-1/27/74 CROSS STREET
03-OCT-74 (West side)
NUMBER 54 AND CHOP HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE
ST ANN'S CHURCHYARD
THOMAS'S CHOP HOUSE
Bar and restaurant. 1901 with late C20 additions.
MATERIALS: red brick and buff terracotta, rear part terracotta only. Slate roof.
STYLE: elaborate free Jacobean style.
PLAN: narrow building at right angles to street extending far back and incorporating No.3 St Ann's Churchyard. 3 main spaces demarcated by arches. All parts of single room width.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic. Single bay facade. Ground floor with chamfered left corner containing a doorway; another doorway to right with window between. Square sub-Corinthian pilasters of red polished granite framing these openings and supporting elaborate mezzanine of glazed terracotta, including moulded corbel. Upper floors have central 2 storey segmental oriel, rising from corbel, with 6-light transomed windows to both floors and foliated panel between them, flanked by banded strips of terracotta and prominent cornice. Attic has pierced foliated parapet over oriel, cross window, and very steeply pitched gable with corner pinnacles, richly foliated cartouche over windows dated 1901, and small broken pediment at the apex. First 2-bays of return side in similar style and then simpler elevation with square headed transomed windows, mostly 3-lights. Rear, No.3 St Ann's Churchyard, narrow convex facade of buff terracotta over brown faience base course. Renaissance style lettering 'THOMAS'S CHOP HOUSE', and panel on first floor with putti and lettering 'A.1901.D'.
INTERIOR: small internal porch. Beyond bar area, extensive display of wall-tiling, light green dado within room furthest from street, cream tiling above extending to ceiling. 2 back rooms each have 2 arches in right-hand wall. All arches lined with green tiling and with alternating raised voussoirs and attenuated key-blocks. Late C20 bar counter and back.
A rich example of turn-of-the-century free style architecture with extensive internal tiling. No 3 was added to the List 4/11/76.
Listing NGR: SJ8382698323
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings