History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Righton Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Hulme, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4694 / 53°28'9"N

Longitude: -2.2387 / 2°14'19"W

OS Eastings: 384251

OS Northings: 396984

OS Grid: SJ842969

Mapcode National: GBR DKM.YB

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.L254

Entry Name: Righton Building

Listing Date: 11 June 1991

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197781

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387974

Location: Manchester, M15

County: Manchester

Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish

Metropolitan District Ward: Hulme

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Hulme The Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8497 CAVENDISH STREET
698-1/20/591 (South side)
11/06/91 Chorlton-On-Medlock
Righton Building

GV II

Formerly known as: Cavendish House CAVENDISH STREET
Chorlton-On-Medlock.
Draper's shop and showrooms, now annex to school of art. 1905,
altered. White glazed brick and buff terracotta, slate and
glass roof. Rectangular plan on corner site, with chamfered
corner. Two storeys over cellars, 5 windows to Cavendish
Street plus the corner to the left; ground floor altered;
terracotta sill-band, frieze, cornice and shaped parapet, the
centre arched with a finial and displaying a banner with
raised lettering "A.D. RIGHTON 1905"; transomed canted oriel
windows of 8 lights to the centre and 6 lights to the outer
bays and the corner. Left return side (to Higher Ormond
Street), 11 bays, the first 5 altered at ground floor as the
front, the next 3 with oval windows at ground floor, and the
last 3 with oriel windows and a doorway, all with a plain
frieze and dentilled cornice, and at 1st floor canted 8-light
oriels alternating with transomed 6-light windows, a
segmental-arched upstand to the parapet over each of the
latter, with moulded terracotta decoration. Interior: central
atrium with gallery of superimposed cast-iron columns, the
lower with open-work brackets forming elliptical arches and
the upper with Corinthian capitals supporting a panelled
frieze, with set-back glazed screen walls to both floors, Art
Nouveau wrought-iron balustrades to the gallery, and a glazed
roof supported by slender iron trusses with open-work
spandrels.


Listing NGR: SJ8425196984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.