History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School House, Brentwood School

A Grade II Listed Building in Brentwood, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6197 / 51°37'10"N

Longitude: 0.3075 / 0°18'27"E

OS Eastings: 559842

OS Northings: 193730

OS Grid: TQ598937

Mapcode National: GBR XN.Q5L

Mapcode Global: VHHN3.8KY6

Entry Name: School House, Brentwood School

Listing Date: 20 February 1976

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373486

Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM15

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Town: Brentwood

Electoral Ward/Division: Brentwood South

Built-Up Area: Brentwood

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Brentwood St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Brentwood

Listing Text


BRENTWOOD

TQ5993 INGRAVE ROAD
723-1/12/86 (North East side)
20/02/76 School House, Brentwood School
(Formerly Listed as:
INGRAVE ROAD
School House (Buildings between
Barnards House and Old School))

GV II

House, now part of Brentwood School. 1773; bay added 1864 and
central front door blocked and converted to a window; extended
in C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red
clay tiles. Double-range plan facing SW, with a stack in each
parapet gable. C20 single-storey extension to rear left.
2 storeys with attics. Ground floor, one late C19 bay of 3
sashes of 2+2 lights with parapet and stone coping, and 3
sashes of 2+2 lights with flat arches of gauged brick. First
floor, 5 similar sashes in similar original apertures. three
C20 casements in dormers with segmental roofs. Wooden plaque
inscribed `1773' on front elevation. No front door. Moulded
and dentilled cornice, parapet rebuilt in C20. The rear
elevation has on the ground floor one original sash of 6+6
lights with a segmental arch, and on the first floor 3 similar
original sashes with some handmade glass, and one C20 casement
in a similar original aperture. In addition, at half-height is
one inserted C20 window of fixed lights. Two C20 casements in
flat-roofed dormers. The rear elevation has some blue headers,
not regularly arranged.
(Lewis RR: The History of Brentwood School: 1981-: 83).


Listing NGR: TQ5984293730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.