History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barlow Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Chorlton Park, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.425 / 53°25'29"N

Longitude: -2.2688 / 2°16'7"W

OS Eastings: 382233

OS Northings: 392055

OS Grid: SJ822920

Mapcode National: GBR DXLT.LY

Mapcode Global: WHB9V.35WN

Entry Name: Barlow Hall

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197800

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387913

Location: Manchester, M21

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chorlton Park

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Chorlton-cum-Hardy St Clement

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Sale

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ89SW BARLOW HALL ROAD, Barlow Moor
698-1/8/493 (South side)
03/10/74 Barlow Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
BARLOW HALL ROAD, Chorlton-Cum-Hardy
Barlow Hall)

II

Also known as: Chorlton-cum-Hardy Golf Club BARLOW HALL ROAD
Barlow Moor.
Manor house, now golf club. C16 and C17 with C18 and C19
additions and alterations; badly damaged by fire in 1879, and
partly reduced in C20; altered, with C20 additions. Mostly
brick, with some surviving timber-framing; slate roofs.
Formerly 4 ranges enclosing a courtyard, but east range
demolished. Two storeys, without regular fenestration. The
principal features of interest now are: the surviving
north-east oriel or bay of the former hall in the west range,
which is timber-framed, jettied and gabled, with a sandstone
plinth, 12-light wooden mullion-and-transom window at ground
floor (with much original glass: see below), jetty bressummer
with mouchette carving, stud-and-rail framing at 1st floor
with 3-light casement window (altered), and bargeboards with
pierced quatrefoils; 2 timber-framed panels at 1st floor of
the south side of the north range, which have short studs,
quatrefoil panelling, and C20 casements; the former entrance
porch on the north side of this range, which is of brick,
2-storeyed, gabled, and has a cambered timber lintel to the
former waggon entry (now blocked, re-using a carved bargeboard
or bressummer as a lower lintel); and at the west end of the
south side of the south range an early C19 single-storey
semi-circular bay which has French windows with margin panes,
flanked by 12-pane sashes. West range has gabled wing at north
end, but is otherwise now entirely covered by C20
single-storey lean-to glazed loggia. Interior: oriel window
with some stained glass shields and one pane lettered "1574";
egg-and-dart frieze to south-west bow window; roof of west
range said to have old timbers. History: was home of Blessed
Ambrose Barlow, born 1585 and martyred at Lancaster 1641.


Listing NGR: SJ8223392055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.