History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burlington Rooms (Schunk Laboratories, Manchester University) and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Hulme, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4648 / 53°27'53"N

Longitude: -2.2352 / 2°14'6"W

OS Eastings: 384482

OS Northings: 396473

OS Grid: SJ844964

Mapcode National: GBR DLN.PZ

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.M5TN

Entry Name: Burlington Rooms (Schunk Laboratories, Manchester University) and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197811

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387957

Location: Manchester, M13

County: Manchester

Metropolitan District Ward: Hulme

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Hulme The Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8496 BURLINGTON STREET
698-1/21/588 (North side)
03/10/74 Chorlton-On-Medlock
Burlington Rooms (Schunck
Laboratories, Manchester Unty) and
attached railings

GV II

Villa, now part of university social club. Dated 1871 and
1904; built 1871 at Kersal, for Edward Schunck, removed to
this site 1904. Yellow brick in Flemish bond with sandstone
dressings and slate roof. Rectangular plan. Two storeys over
basement, 4 bays, the 1st and 4th breaking forwards very
slightly; with 2 string courses, projected eaves cornice,
pedimented gable to 1st bay and square clock turret to 4th
bay. Tall basement with 3 windows, the basement area protected
by spiked railings; segmental-headed doorway in 4th bay,
approached by doglegged flight of steps, with recessed
panelled door and stone tympanum lettered "18" "71" with
monogrammed initials "HES" in roundel; segmental-headed
windows at ground floor with moulded segmental-headed
architraves and 6-pane glazing including tilting-casement
openings, similar windows to the outer bays at 1st floor and
round-headed windows in the centre; stone plaque between 2nd
and 3rd windows at ground floor recording that the building
was bequeathed to Owens College by Edward Schunck DSc FRS for
chemical research and re-erected here in 1904. Short clock
turret with corner pilasters, central clock-face, stone frieze
and pyramidal roof with weathervane.


Listing NGR: SJ8448296473

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.