History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hartley Hall and Attached Railings and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Manchester, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4452 / 53°26'42"N

Longitude: -2.2523 / 2°15'8"W

OS Eastings: 383341

OS Northings: 394297

OS Grid: SJ833942

Mapcode National: GBR DHW.0Z

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.CNQQ

Entry Name: Hartley Hall and Attached Railings and Gates

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387874

Location: Manchester, M16

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Whalley Range

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Chorlton-cum-Hardy St Werburgh

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Stretford

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ89SW ALEXANDRA ROAD, Fallowfield
698-1/8/823 (West side)
03/10/74 Hartley Hall and attached railings
and gates
(Formerly Listed as:
ALEXANDRA ROAD SOUTH, Alexandra Park
(West side)
Hartley Victoria College)

II

Methodist college, now hall of residence for Royal Nothern
College of Music. 1879, 1896, 1903-6. Brick with red
terracotta and stone dressings, slate roofs. Large irregular
plan formed by original block on corner of Gowan Road at south
end and successive additions to the north of this, with main
range parallel to street and various large rear wings.
Eclectic style with some Gothic and Elizabethan features. Two
storeys, attic and basement, plus a tower. The original block,
of stock brick, has an arcaded range of windows with pointed
arched heads, doorway with gabled porch and steps up, and
corbel-table eaves. The 1896 addition to the right has
buttresses, gables, mullion-and-transom windows (some with
double transoms), a projecting gabled bay with doorway in
stone surround, and a square tower to the right with an
octagonal clock turret and cupola; and wrought-iron forecourt
railings with 2 single gates and a pair of double gates in the
centre with open-work standards topped by lamp brackets and
scrolled overthrow with escutcheon. Attached to the right of
this, the 1903-6 block, of red brick with stone dressings and
green slate roof, in Elizabethan style, symmetrical, with
projecting gabled wings, stone mullion-and-transom windows (2
breaking the eaves), single-storey covered ways to left and
right. Chapel to right of this, in similar materials,
Perpendicular style, nave and 2 side chapels, with flying
buttresses and large traceried east window. Rear: all windows
now with uPVC glazing.


Listing NGR: SJ8334194297

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.