History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II Listed Building in Whalley Range, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4531 / 53°27'11"N

Longitude: -2.2529 / 2°15'10"W

OS Eastings: 383300

OS Northings: 395174

OS Grid: SJ833951

Mapcode National: GBR DGT.V5

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.CGDN

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 13 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387876

Location: Manchester, M16

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Whalley Range

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ89NW ALEXANDRA ROAD SOUTH, Whalley Range
698-1/4/825 Church of St Edmund
13/07/87

II

Church. 1881, by H.R.Price. Coursed squared sandstone rubble,
slate roof. Geometrical style. Seven-bay nave with north and
south aisles, polygonal apse, unfinished north-east tower.
Nave has clerestory of paired 2-centred arched single-light
windows with trefoil tracery, large 6-light west window with
multifoil tracery; apse has gabled traceried lancets with
shafts. North aisle has gabled porch at west end with moulded
2-centred arch including shafts. Square tower built to first 2
stages only, with angle-buttresses, foundation stone dated
July 1881, and east doorway moulded in 4 orders, under gablet.
Interior: lofty arcades of polished granite coulmns and
moulded 2-centred arches; chancel arch with corbelled shafts;
elaborate open-truss timber roof to nave, wooden barrel-vault
roof to chancel; stone wall to chancel with inbuilt pulpit and
lectern (sounding board to pulpit); residual gables over
lancet windows of apse, with intervening shafts; baptistery at
west end of south aisle enclosed by glazed Gothic screen,
containing marble font; stained glass in apse by Shrigley and
Hunt c.1912. No longer in use for worship.


Listing NGR: SJ8330095174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.