This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0871 / 54°5'13"N
Longitude: -3.1621 / 3°9'43"W
OS Eastings: 324079
OS Northings: 466307
OS Grid: SD240663
Mapcode National: GBR 6PC5.6N
Mapcode Global: WH72Q.DJGN
Entry Name: Rampside Hall
Listing Date: 10 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197852
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388561
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13
Electoral Ward/Division: Roosecote
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Rampside St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
708-1/6/108 (North side)
Large house. Late C17 (Pevsner). Roughcast over stone with
ashlar dressings, graduated slate roof.
3 storeys and attic, 5 bays, double-depth plan; later wing to
rear left. Central doorway has ovolo-moulded quoined surround
with vine carving on chamfer stops; lintel decorated with ogee
panels and carved vinetrail; hoodmould surmounted by blank
panel with round-arched cornice. Dripmould continues from
doorhood to cover double-chamfered cross-windows having C20
casements with glazing bars.
Upper-floor windows all in same style; bays 1 & 5 on 2nd floor
have different, red sandstone, surrounds. Shaped blocks
support wooden gutter. Parapet removed but end dies remain and
have large ball finials on ornate pedestals; ashlar gable
copings. 12 diagonally-set chimneys occupy full length of
ridge. Left return: lean-to porch in angle with later wing,
encloses cross-boarded oak door with decorative iron hinges in
ovolo-moulded surround. Casement and 4-pane sash to ground
floor; cross-window and partially-blocked cross-window above.
INTERIOR: structurally the house has a massive tranverse wall
incorporating the flues; off this the rooms are formed by
timber partitions; most rooms have beamed ceilings. Original
features include: well in cellar; incomplete fireplace
bressumer in kitchen to rear left, beneath it a stone arch.
Staircase to rear centre rises through 3 floors and has
original oak balustrade of turned balusters and deep-section
handrail between square and rectangular newels with sunken
panels and moulded caps. Chamfered ashlar fireplace to 1st
Built for the Knype family. A house here is mentioned in 1634
although it is uncertain when and for which member of the
family the present structure was built (Chambers & Gaythorpe).
Pevsner, as stated, regarding the building as late C17.
(Trans. Cumberland & Westmoreland Antiquarian & Archaeol.
Society: Chambers C P: Rampside Hall: Kendal: 1910-: 288-297;
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London:
Listing NGR: SD2407966307
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings