This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1038 / 54°6'13"N
Longitude: -3.2283 / 3°13'41"W
OS Eastings: 319785
OS Northings: 468237
OS Grid: SD197682
Mapcode National: GBR 5NWZ.WP
Mapcode Global: WH72P.C3ZT
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388488
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Barrow Island
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD1968 ISLAND ROAD, Barrow Island
708-1/13/82 (North side)
Church of St John
Church, on site of earlier church. 1934-35. By Paget and
Seeley of London. Ferroconcrete with concrete and green slate
Cruciform plan with enlarged crossing and with lean-tos
against the nave and transepts; arcaded loggia leads to west
porch; chancel has round apse, south organ chamber with bell
tower and south vestry. Byzantine style.
Loggia: 6 round arches to west and 4 to east. Lean-to against
nave lit by two 3-light mullioned windows with 12-pane iron
casements in shallow round-arched recesses. Windows in same
style flank a tall, round-arched transept window having later
wooden casements with glazing bars. Projecting corners of the
crossing have a small round-arched clerestorey window to each
side. West end has 3 lancet windows. The slated lean-tos are
steeply pitched; main roofs have shallow pitch and coped
parapets. North side as south.
Gabled vestry has door to east and mullioned windows as
before; its pitched roof is set against the organ chamber
having small round-arched windows and parapet from which rises
the square bell tower with paired round-arched openings,
parapet and pyramidal roof with cross. Tower is linked to
south transept by an arch. Chancel windows as those to the
transepts; slated periphery to concrete roof.
INTERIOR: crossing forms main part of nave, round arches
spring from floor level on each side; segmental arches to the
chancel and the organ chamber. Concrete ceiling beams.
Fittings: red sandstone font. Other fitments brought from
earlier church: eagle lectern; wooden pulpit; choir stalls
with carvings designed by Clifford Green and executed by FJ
Lord 1922 (both of Barrow). C19 stained glass to west windows:
3 panels depict St John, St Mary and Dorcas. The old church
consecrated 1879. Foundation stone of this church laid
15.12.1934; consecration 28.9.1935.
Listing NGR: SD1978568237
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings