History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

19, 19a and 19b, Market Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalton Town with Newton, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1559 / 54°9'21"N

Longitude: -3.1855 / 3°11'7"W

OS Eastings: 322676

OS Northings: 473992

OS Grid: SD226739

Mapcode National: GBR 6N6C.4Z

Mapcode Global: WH72B.1SCW

Entry Name: 19, 19a and 19b, Market Place

Listing Date: 6 May 1976

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197873

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388509

Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton

Built-Up Area: Dalton-in-Furness

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dalton in Furness

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD2273 MARKET PLACE, Dalton In Furness
708-1/11/180 (North side)
06/05/76 Nos.19, 19A AND 19B
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET PLACE, Dalton
Nos.18, 19, 19A AND 19B)

GV II

House formerly an inn now 3 dwellings. Probably mid C18,
altered early C19. Roughcast over limestone, composition tile
and graduated slate roofs. 2 storeys and attic, 2 windows to
1st floor; taller wing to rear. Corner pilasters. Inserted
doorway to left of centre has C20 door in decorative shaped
surround; projecting sill to C20 casement on right, its raised
surround roughcast over. Round-arched carriage entrance on
left has impost blocks and keystone. 1st floor: two 4-pane
sashes with raised surrounds beneath roughcast; eaves band.
Brick end stack on right. 4-pane sash in slate-hung gabled end
of projection from taller wing to rear; the wing itself with
small, brick end stack. Rear: external steps to 1st-floor
doorway in gable of rear wing. Left return: through carriage
arch is a covered way with cobbled and flagged track running
alongside the rear wing which contains 19A & 19B. John Wesley
said to have preached here (previous list description).
Formerly the King's Arms, became private house after 1915
(Walton).
(Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards:
Netherlands: 1983-: PL 33, 35).


Listing NGR: SD2267673992

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.