History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dalton Cemetery, Northernmost Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalton Town with Newton, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1523 / 54°9'8"N

Longitude: -3.1847 / 3°11'4"W

OS Eastings: 322724

OS Northings: 473590

OS Grid: SD227735

Mapcode National: GBR 6N6F.B8

Mapcode Global: WH72B.1WRN

Entry Name: Dalton Cemetery, Northernmost Chapel

Listing Date: 20 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197883

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388422

Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton

Built-Up Area: Dalton-in-Furness

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dalton in Furness

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD2273 CEMETERY HILL, Dalton In Furness
708-1/11/159 (West side (off))
Dalton Cemetery, northernmost chapel

II

Conformist cemetery chapel now disused. Consecrated 1862
(Local Board Yearbook). Squared rubble limestone with ashlar
sandstone dressings; graduated slate roof. Nave with rounded
apse to east and with gabled wing and loggia to north. Gothic
Revival style. Chamfered plinth, large quoins. Trabeated
loggia, under catslide roof in angle with wing, has 3 columns
with square bases and carved capitals; chamfered stone gutter.
Within are 2 doorways with decorative iron hinges to double
doors; double-chamfered 2-centred arches with carved hoodmould
stops. Wing on right has string course below 2 cusped lancets
linked by hoodmould; quatrefoil over. South side of nave:
buttresses between three 2-light windows with Geometrical
tracery and differing heads carved on hoodmould stops. Steeply
pitched roof with shaped kneelers and ashlar gable copings;
cross to west apex; bellcote to east with gable corbelled from
clustered colonnettes. Lower apse has recessed panels with
impost string course linking cusped lancets with colonnettes,
hoodmoulds and relieving arches; scalloped eaves band.
Semi-conical roof with iron finial. INTERIOR: fittings removed
except for Gothic Revival wooden screen between nave and wing.
(Tyson J: Dalton in Furness: Local Board Accounts: 1887-: 79).


Listing NGR: SD2272473590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.